Driveway Drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Martcrox

The yard gulley for my drive has always been higher than the drive and is against the front corner of the house connecting with the wall for 30cm in a concrete block. It is only 60mm below the DPM & only serves to drain the roof of the house. The driveway does not suffer from flooding as it is paved & water soaks away easily, even in torrential rain. However last time it rained hard, water came down the hill & onto my drive from the street. I think it would have been better to have the drive concreted & the level raised to drain into the gulley. Would this be sensible to raise the level? It would not mean any more than current contact with the house at 60mm below DPM as drive is off to side of house.

84-1093879891

It sounds as though it would be much easier to reduce the height of the gully to 150mm below dpc, and then re-lay the paving as required to suit the adjusted level, rather than redo the entire driveway to make it tie in with a drainage pick-up point that is already wrong.

What's the current surfacing?

Martcrox

Current drive is uneven paving stones, but well settled. Removing paving & concreting drive to 5" depth would bring drive up to a level to flow to gulley. Gulley level was from 1932 when house was built. Just installed a new gulley as the old ones connector pipe had collapsed (so at least the roof water goes down to sewer now) When installing new gulley investigated lowering it but found this impossible without creating a pipe that would have 2 underground bends in it. This problem is caused by the fact that next doors electric feed travels right over the pipe to the sewer & would have to be moved to allow the gulley to flow straight to sewer without bending. Not really an option for me currently to do that
Thanks for the speediest reply I have ever received from this type of site
Mart

84-1093879891

You can have as many bends as you want in a rainwater connection, Mart. As long as there's fall, it doesn't really matter how you connect the gully to the rest of the drainage system.

Martcrox

Thanks. I didnt realise bends were OK. I may have another dig down & lower it.
Mart