Storm Drain

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
markh

Hello,
Can any help with the following question

I have a storm drain running along the side of my house that empties into the stream at the bottom of my garden.

I want to extend my garage , Can I build over the storm drain ?

If not how close can I build to it ?

84-1093879891

Building over any sewer is less than ideal, but is allowed, provided that suitable protection for both the building and the sewer are included in the plan.

Your architect and/or the BCO for the building work should be able to advise you as to the best remedy for your particular situation. It may require you to re-pipe the sewer, moving it outside the building line, or you may be required to encase it in concrete and bridge it where it passes beneath walls, but, as I can't see the exact layout, it's not possible for me to say what would be most suitable.

Are you building/extending the garage yourself, or will you employ a builder?

markh

I would be definitely using a builder if I go ahead with the extension.

84-1093879891

Then the builder will be able to work out the best solution. When you consider the amount of work that goes into building an extension, shifting a line of drainage by a couple of metres and possibly installing one or twi access chambers is a relatively minor detail.

The main thing to bear in mind is that there is a simple solution. I've never seen a sewer yet that prevented an extension being built. Don't worry! :)

markh

Thanks,

Although I think I missed a vital bit of information which is the diameter of the drain is about 18 to 20 inches , does this make a difference to your responses ?

Mark.

84-1093879891

Just a bit!!!! :o

At that sort of size, this must be a public sewer, and so moving it is a much larger operation. It may actually be better to bridge it, which means big money, just depending on the position and orientation of the pipeline relevant to the proposed extension.

Basically, when a sewer is bridged, two padstones are constructed either side of the sewer at least 450mm from the pipework itself. Then, steel-reinforced concrete lintels or a specially cast beam on summat like Holorib steel decking is used to bridge the pipeline, so that no part is in direct contact with the pipework. The concrete foundation is then cast over the top of the bridge. The key point is that the pipeline is NOT carrying any of the load imposed by the new building, which would compromise the integrity of the pipe.

You need to get the BCO involved. They need to approve any plan your builder/designer/architect comes up with.

Good luck!