Conservatory

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
wilks

Firstly, many thanks for an excellent way to discuss these types of issues. Now to the problem. I wish to build a conservatory (planning agreed) that will enclose a brick manhole with three connections of waste water and sewage. I wish to move the manhole out of the proposed conservatory area about 3-4 feet. From this site I have an excellent idea how to do it, just wanted to know if anyone had similar work undertaken and how the council reacted etc. Luckily I am at the beginning of the drainage run so any interruptions will only affect me. The manhole is brick (house built 1929) and can easily be replaced by an inspection chamber,(2-3 ft deep), moving the existing feeds relatively easily. The nearest connecting manhole is that of my neighbour about 20 feet (6 metres) away. Moving the manhole will make this distance about 25 ft (8 metres). I have considered sealing the manhole where it stands, but keep deciding against it. Has anyone done something similar and what do you think best ? I'm half inclined just to do it and not tell anyone...advice please..

84-1093879891

From what you've told us, I can't see any problems with your proposal and there'd be no reason to do it 'secretly'.

Position your new IC where you want it away from the conservatory (at least 1m away, I'd suggest), then connect it up with the appropriate pipework, test it, then disconnect the old brick MH and pipework.

I'd dig out the old drainage and backfill rather than leave it in situ, but this may not be feasible. The old brick MH can be backfilled with a lean mix concrete and left as it is.