Japanese Stone Drain

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
johneddy

I was recently introduced the the concept of drainage paving accomplished by laying thin stone vertically into bedding over a gravel drain. The pictures I saw were very attractive and while the concept seemed simple enough, I have been looking to be directed to a source of additional information or to those with experience in this area. Can you help? Thanks

84-1093879891

I've only ever seen this used in gardens. John, as the labour element is quite high compared to throwing is a perforated land drain and backfilling the lot with a clean gravel.

To be honest, I've never seen a proper construction drawing for this type of drain, but we built one for a client in my village following the instructions from a book on garden design he had been reading. I can't recall the name of the book, but if I see him in the alehouse tonight, I'll ask if he still has it. All I can remember is that it was a 'coffee table' type book on building a Japanese Garden and featured many photos and descriptions, including the ever-popular 'deer-scarer' yoke for water features and a really elegant downspout arrangement for small roofs that consisted solely of a length of chain!

For the drain we built, we used stone roofing tiles bought from a salage yard and filled the interstices with a 6mm local river gravel. The whole affair was about 450-500mm deep with a half-perforated clay pipe at the base which was then linked to the existing SW system of the property. If memory serves me right, we used 6 tiles, each around 30mm thick, and the overall width of the drain was about 250mm. It was used at the edge of a paved patio and was only about 4.5m in length.

As far as I know, it's still working. I'm sure that if there had been any problems with it, I'd have had my ear bent long before now! ;)

johneddy

thanks for rhe response. I would be most appreciative if you learn something from your your pub friend.
regards
- john

84-1093879891

No sign of him last Friday, John. I'll see if he's in this Friday. I know he travels abroad on business quite often, so he might be away.