Brick drive drainage - no where to go!

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
richarde

A challenge, I'm aiming to lay a brick drive, in order to stay 150mm below the dpc (not that it's really got one - it's a 450 yr old cottage, but I've assumed floor level) 1:80 gradient would mean the end at the road is below the pavement. Draining all or part towards the house and into gullies is a no-go as it hasn't a surface water drainage system, guttering discharges into flower beds or drive. Right hand side is no-go as it's a neighbour's property. Soak-away is a non-starter as it's heavy clay with the water table about 2' below the house (natural pond at the bottom of the garden is a good guide to the level. I gues the only option is a fall towards the left-hand side which is lawn and flower beds? the drive is approx 120 sq/mtrs is this feasable and would I use the same gradient across the drive (average width 5.5 mtrs)

Second part, I want to do it in a brick which looks old ie in keeping with a 450 yr old cottage and doesn't cost an arm an a leg, given the size - is reclaimed brick an option and if so what should I look out for, if not have you any suggestions?

Regards

Richard Elliott

84-1093879891

I can't tell you what would be the best way to drain your planned driveway, as i',m not familiar with the property, but dumping 120m2 of surface water onto a pgarden, p[lus whatever comes from the roof and other hard surfaces, is asking for trouble, especially with such a shallow water table.

I'd ask a professional for on-site advice. They might be able to spot a solution I can't see (obviously!)

As for choice of brick; why reclaimed? There is a very small market for reclaimed pavers and the quality ones are bloody expensive. All the rest are concrete or cheap clay seconds. Have a look at Tegula/Drivesett from Marshalls, Priory from RMC or Woburn from Charcon, to name but 3.

PS - please remove the ad from the bottom of your sig on any future posts - It has nowt to do with paving or building. :)