Soil Stack Connect

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
71-1093879290

Hi Tony,

I have to replace a soil stack (from upper floor to ground) on a side wall of the house. It connects at ground level to a shallow inspection chamber - and I mean literally at ground level, as there is only enough depth for a single 90 degree bend connector which goes directly into the chamber (because it is close to the house wall as well....) where it is mortared in place as the inlet. This bend is currently earthenware but the top is broken and I will need to replace it. Can I use a standard plastic soil pipe 90 bend instead? The only earthenware ones I can find are too big/long radius. Will the mortar seal to the plastic, do I need to roughen it and use PVA etc? Any other suggestions ?

Regards

Geoff Hughes

84-1093879891

Hi Geoff,

you can use plasticware if you like, but they tend to be more or less the same dimensions as their vitrified clay cousins. If it fits, it'll do, basically! :)

Generally speaking, there's no need to roughen the outside of plasticware - it bonds to concrete or mortar well enough. I'd pack all around with a 1:2:4 concrete outside the chamber. On the inside, you can prime with PVA or similar before sealing any joint with a 1:4 mortar and then repairing the benching with grano.

71-1093879290

Hi Tony,

Thanks, that makes sense. I thought it might be OK like that, but it's good to have confirmation.

Regards

Geoff