Waterlogged garden

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
archive

Hi Found this site through Excite Its Brilliant and the answer to my prayers. Wish id found it a year or so ago.

My problem is that I’ve got and old cottage about 100 years old its seems to have been built in a hole. The water table is very high about 300 mm below ground in winter . The area around has land drainage and this drains into a Catchment pit ( as per your Web-Page).My storm water also goes into the pit
Then it is dispersed into a ditch through a 6 inch clay pipe about 500 metres away ,this pipe runs through several neighbours property access is very difficult . The problem is whenever we get heavy rain in winter the water backs up and floods my land . The end of the pipe is submersed in the ditch would this restrict the flow.?
I pump this water away by putting the pump in the catchment pit . Would it be advisable to build a bigger pit and permanently leave a pump in there on a float switch to pump away the excess water . your thoughts please

Regards

Les Davis

84-1093879891

Hi Les,

If the outfall of the drainage pipe is submerged, then it will affect its ability to drain - in effect, the water in the ditch will surcharge into the pipe and travel *towards* your land.

When you pump out your catch pit, where do you pump the water to? Into the Foul System?

When it comes to building a bigger storage reservoir, you'd really need to understand the local hydrology. You could end up providing spare capacity for all your neighbours and the ditch, while not gaining any benefit for yourself. A pumped storage facility, what we call a wet well, discharging into the FW system may need a consent from your local authority, just depending on what the local flood plan is.
A one-way valve or penstock on you discharge pipe may be a simpler answer. Have you spoken to any local drainage contractors?

archive

Tony

Thank for your quick Reply.

I haven't contacted any drainage contractors because I had a bad experience when I first moved in and had a new Septic tank fitted (major cockup). Resolved now
I am in Sussex could you recommend anyone.

The local council have agreed to dredge the ditch so that might cure the problem .If not I’ll try a one-way valve as per your suggestion and if that doesn’t work I'll be in Touch (Lol)

Thanks Again

Les

84-1093879891

I don't know anyone 'firsthand' in Sussexshire, but I have a few contacts in the civils trade down there that might be able to put us on to someone - friend of a friend and all that!

Let me know how you get on.