Re-jointing and loose flags

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Leeg

Apologies, photobucket is mugging me off. I can email pics. Or if I get chance I will try another hosting site.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Email them to me, Lee - photies AT cormaic DOT co DOT uk - and I'll get them uploaded for you.......
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Tony McC
Site Admin

Your images.....

Leeg

I got all the flags finished over the Christmas period. I did have to completely re-bed 2 where the previous bedding wasn't good enough and I also used the sbr slurry method on half a dozen where the old bedding looked a little sandy. So I'm effectively trying out 3 methods. All look good so far. I'll re-joint as soon as the weather is up to it.

I reckon if i was to do this again I would use the sbr slurry everywhere with the same vacuuming method.

Tony McC
Site Admin

I've added a bit about your experiences to the new website (due to launch in 3-4 weeks). Once it's live, I'll post a link for you......

Leeg

Ok, cool thanks.

ataylor93

What product did you use to fix the slabs down?

I'm looking at re-joining my patio but all of the slabs are loose. Its a solid base, i'm finding it quicker to lift the slabs, remove existing mortar then clean the area with a broom... I don't expect this solution to last forever, just long enough to keep the patio looking nice for a few years until I can afford to do it properly.

Bob_A

This is worth a read
Fixing Loose Flagstones

Looking back in this thread it looks like leeg used
Power Grab n Bond

Tony McC
Site Admin

I did a professional assessment of a patio near Bedford just last month, where some well-meaning contractor urged on by the APL had 'glued' down loose flagstones and, in the space of a little over 3 months, every single 'fix' had come loose yet again!

And there were prominent (by definition: greater than 2mm) lips between so-called fixed and the original flagstones.

ataylor93

Ideally I want to do a full new bed but I'm wanting a temporary solution to make the patio look "OK" for a year or so until I have the time and money to do it properly.

Might just be worth only re jointing and not bother trying to get them to adhere to the floor?

I have read the topics linked above, for me the entire patio is loose, I can literally pick up and of the slabs after working existing joining out.

http://imgur.com/a/m2W8Iyk

Leeg

Sorry for the late reply. I'm happy to report still no issues, and I still haven't re-jointed them. I will probably do it during this lock down. Some areas I did use sbr slurry method as I felt the bedding looked a bit sandy to use the adhesive. If I were to do the job again I think I would use this everywhere as it would have been much quicker and probably cheaper.

Bob_A

How did you use the SBR slurry did you pour into the joints? If so what tools did you use and how did you get on with spillage.
You say the bedding looked a bit sandy so perhaps you lifted the slab to notice that, if so how did you use the slurry in that case?
Thanks
:D

Leeg

The majority were loose so I could lift them. I could then clean both surfaces and pour the slurry all over the area and re-lay. I did get the odd spill. I just wiped up as best a could and tried not to spread it out. Luckily our flags are grey so not ad obvious as it could be.

Major Tom

I have the exact same issue as some others on this thread - after I removed failed jointing from a patio, it’s clear that all slabs are loose.

In my case, I have cheap sawn Indian sandstone, about 50sqm, laid on a 10:1 base. The base seems to be fine.

The slabs are thin, fragile, and very porous. But they look nice and I’d like to re-lay the whole area.

I plan to apply a coat of sealer before attempting to re-lay, to reduce the risk of staining later.

I plan to apply the new bed on top of the existing base.

My question is, what type of bedding mix do people recommend for this application?
will I need a bond bridge to fix them down this time?
What’s the shallowest bed that I could get away with, given that I already have a flat, bound base to work on?
Any other advice?

Thanks.

Picture:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/NKtvBDQ....mg]

Tony McC
Site Admin