Porcelain slab install fail

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Master of None

Hi All,

Hoping for some expert opinions if you would be so kind...

Recently had a porcelain patio installed by an experienced builder but the slabs do not appear to have bonded to the sand cement bed. I believe PVA was applied to the mix and also applied to the rear of the slabs, but after doing some reading on here I am now fairly confident this process is not how it is done.

Basically, other than the presence of some suction, I can freely lift the slabs from the bed. That said, they are very level and appear solid.

Am I likely to run into problems moving forward? If so, to what extent?

Any opinions much appreciated.

Cheers.
Master of None

dig dug dan

Oh dear.
An experienced builder? Perhaps stick to building and leave stabbing to the experts.
Yes, it's wrong. Its should have had a bond bridge such as sbr and cement, or something like Larson.
Pva will do nothing other than waste time and money.
Its will need to be relaid!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

Yup - another eejit who has sort of heard something about sticking down porcelain for patios, but doesn't really know much more than that and opts for water-soluble PVA.....in ground conditions that are damp for 9 months of the year.

It will all need to be lifted and re-laid. By a professional paving installer.....and hopefully at the expense of this so-called "experienced builder".
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

msh paving
Site Admin

PVA has no place is paving at all, the only bonding agent is SBR in a cement slurry on back of slab
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk