Advice needed please - Sawn grey sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
lambert91

My friend has recently laid a patio area of approx 50m2 using sawn grey sandstone for me. If possible I am looking for recommendations for the following:

jointing compound (looking for a black colour)
sealant

I will add that I have read lots of the guides on the website but some of it is confusing to me as I have no idea regarding anything to do with patios etc.

For the jointing compound I would ideally like a black colour but reading the guides on the website it is very confusing whether I should use a 1 part, 2 part, dry mix or a wet mix. I have seen the Romox products well advertised on the website, could any of these be a good option?

For the sealant, I would ideally like one that doesn't change the appearance too much. I have seen the trials on the website and two of the best sealants appear to be the 'lithofin stainstop plus' and 'Advanced HD sealant' in terms of not being able to see the oils, wine and other liquids spilled. However, on a separate page on the website where a list of 4 sealants are recommended for natural stone, none of these appear on the list, although a 'lithofin mn stainstop' is on there - could this be the same one?

If anyone could recommend some products I would be very grateful, thank you.

Bob_A

As a DIYer here's my experience. For jointing use a two part compound, one part compounds don't last as I found out.
The only makes I'd use is GFTK or Romex but I found the later difficult to obtain so it's GFTK for me.
Contact these people
They are very good they'll give you free advice even if you decide to buy elsewhere.

Good quality sealants are soooo expensive I can't justify the price so I haven't bothered. For instance you won't get much change out of £150 for 5L of Lithofin which is regarded as the best by many.
All I can say is stay away from the cheap stuff because this forum is full of people enquiring on how to remedy the problems they cause.

lambert91

Thanks for taking the time to reply, is there any joint compounds in a jet black? I spoke to the lad laying my slabs and he wasn't convinced by basalt compound on grey sandstone. Thanks

dig dug dan

Easyjoint do a jet black. It washes in with waternot had an issue with it yet.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

lambert91

Is easyjoint a 1 part or 2 part? How does it compare to pavestone pointfix? I see they do a black too, thanks

Bob_A

Not familiar with Easyjoint. Using the search facility on here throws up some old threads

Hope this works

Tony McC
Site Admin

EasyJoint is a 1-part. As Dan says, it can be washed in with water.....but, all too often, it can also be washed out with water. :(
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lambert91

Going for the pavestone pointfix, thanks everyone :)