Crushing old paving slabs for sub-base - Patio base from crushed concrete

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
HKP001

I am installing a new porcelain paved patio and was going to dispose of the old slabs and have MOT Type 1 delivered for sub-base. However, it occurs to me that rather than hiring a skip, it might be easier to hire a mini concrete crusher and use the old slabs to make the sub-base. Does anyone know if the crusher output would be suitable? Many thanks

David 1234

It worked brilliantly for me. I hired a crusher from a guy who contributes to this forum - Dig Dug Dan. That was years ago and my 70 square meters of granite patio is still going strong. I don’t know if the old patio slabs would have been sufficient; I also crushed the concrete slab underneath and had way too much. I’m sure someone like Dan will be able to tell you how much a solid surface “expands� once crushed.

Whether you need to bring in extra hardcore or not it’s a no brainier. Look at what disposal of old slabs and new hardcore will cost you versus recycling your own and you’ll soon want to hire a crusher.
David

HKP001

Thank you David, this is very helpful. It seems sensible to me, but I wasn't sure if the crushed concrete would be good enough. If it worked for you, then do guess it should for me. Many thanks