Fence post query - Fence post query for new patio

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
jdb1990

Hi all,

Just in the process of planning my first patio job. Thanks to the brilliant content in this forum and the site itself, i'm nearly in a position to start.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts/experiences were regarding laying flags with the obstacle of a fence post?

It seems the two options are to lay the flags around the post itself flush up to the panels (which i prefer the look of) or to stop short of the fence post, laying some decorative gravel.

Is it advised not to lay flags around the post itself flush to the fence in case you need to replace the fence post at some point? Or would you just remove the flags to get to the fence post, reset the new concrete to hold the post and re-lay the couple of flags you've had to lift?
Josh

digerjones

If concrete i would pave up to it. If wood leave a gap
dylan

jdb1990

Sorry, I should have said in my original post, they are timber fence posts.

What's the thinking for leaving a gap with wooden posts?
Josh

Tony McC
Site Admin

Definitely leave 10-12mm around wooden posts to allow for the inevitable shrinking and swelling that happens.

Finish closer to concrete posts.

As for the panels or gravel boards, go with Dylan's recommendation - pave up to concrete, even if it means vcutting a notch to get around the posts, but stay clear of timber.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Tony McC
Site Admin

Here's the image you sent me...

jdb1990

Thanks for uploading the image Tony.

I’m dealing with this side of a featherboard fence. Timber post, no gravel board, just the fence panels as you can see:

- The 10-12mm gap around the fence post, if I joint this, will that still allow the shrinking and swelling?
- Why is it not a good idea to go flush to the fence panels? In that case, how close shall I go up to them?
- When I lay the flags around the post, is it just the same approach I would use elsewhere, surround the concrete block holding the fence post with compacted type 1, lay the bedding mix then the slab?
- Finally, by laying the slabs around the fence post, what happens in the event the fence post needs replacing? Is it just a case of removing the flags around the post, remove the post and the concrete block, set a new post in some concrete, then surround the new block in new compacted type 1, lay the bedding mix and relay the flag?

Sorry for the essay, just want to make sure I’m doing it correctly
Josh

digerjones

Wood rots. Moves. Swells. And deteriorates. Just put a boader in and keep your paving away from the fence. Fill boarder with decorative gravel
dylan

jdb1990

I’m a little restricted as to the width of the aggregate border I can put down because it is a corner with a gate opening out onto it, in the picture above, the flag on the left is what you step onto as you come through the gate.

Would you avoid the fence post and the panels altogether, laying the flag near the face of the fence post, or lay the flag around part of the fence post but leave a gap to the panels?
Josh

Tony McC
Site Admin

As previously stated, you only need a 10-12mm gap around the fence post. that is ample to accommodate shrinkage and swelling of the timber posts.

I'd prefer to lay around the psosts, cutting notches in the paving as required, but others would be more than happy paving post to post with a gravel-filled strip at the foot of each panel.

jdb1990

in that case, would i just surround the concrete block holding the fence post in with compacted MOT type 1, so the fence post concrete block becomes part of the sub base? (then add the bedding mix and paving on top)

Finally, if i need to replace the fence post, is that just a case of removing the paving slab temporarily to access the fence post concrete block?
Josh

Tony McC
Site Admin

Yes. And yes!

jdb1990

Ok, great.

Thanks for everyone taking the time to respond, it's much appreciated
Josh