Can shrub/hedge roots lift a patio - Does anyone have any experience of this.

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Karanbajwa

Hi all , sorry if this is a foolish question
I have a patio with a gap around 40 cm from a garden fence and this gap is filled with gravel currently.

The garden fence in question offers very little privacy and since it belongs to the neighbour I cant do anything about it

I wanted to plant a hedge in this small 40cm gap between the patio and fence but is it a foolish idea?

I know (and have seen) tree roots adversely affect paving but has anyone seen shrubs or other small 2metre high plants do the same? I thought since their roots were smaller perhaps it may be okay?

If it helps the patio is 3-4inches of compacted mot 1, 4-5cm full bed and 22mm sandstone?

Any replies or experience would much appreciated kind regards to all

Winnywood

40 cm isn't a lot of room for a hedge. Im guessing to provide some privacy the hedge needs to tall too. And the ground may not have enough soil to support the life of the hedge. Could you not just erect another fence instead.
Winnywood

Tony McC
Site Admin

400mm is a bit tight for any formal hedge, but it does depend on what you plant.

I'd also look at erecting simple fence with a trellis top into that 400mm gap. Your maximum permitted fence height could well be 2m (depends onw hgere it is in relation to the public highway) but you can easily, and lawfully, bung a 600mm trellis on top of that.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert