Porcelain tiles with pedestal help - Can i put on type 1

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
barker196

Excellent website, I've used it for years but first time I consider I need your direct help.

I'm creating a raised patio at the rear of my house around 28 sq m. Retaining wall built. A base of broken tiles and smashed bricks laid down followed by 75mm of MOT Type 1 that I still need to bring the level up on and compact.

I hope to use porcelain tiles 20mm thick that I had assumed I could lay on a mortar bed. Imagine my shock to read on your website and elsewhere that it's not straight forward due to the low absorbance of porcelain.

I don't really want to paint a slurry mix on the backs due to the risk of making a mess of the tiles. The type 1 is laid so it's too late to opt for a concrete base and tile adhesive. The only other option I can see is to use pedestals. I like the idea (not so much the cost) but would it be suitable to put them directly on type 1? Something tells me this is a bad idea. Does anyone have experience of doing this on anything other than a concrete base?

Just a final thought on that, my type 1 is at wall height so pedestals on that will raise the tiles up around 20mm leaving a void at the edge where they overhang the wall. I guess I'd have to put some kind of mortar under that part of the tile.

Thanks in advance

Before Type 1 added

Type 1 added. Needs compacting and level bringing up

Winnywood

I wouldn't worry about getting primer slurry on the face of porcelain pavers it will wipe of as long as you do it the same day. Use a professional primer slurry like pavetuff or easy prime and just mix it as you need. I been using the pavetuff and have been mixing 1.5kg with 500ml of water and it gets me 6 800 x 400 pavers witch is about a hrs work for me on this patio im doing at home.
Winnywood

Winnywood

What i mean is clean each paver as you go with a sponge and some water, and give all the pavers a clean at the end of the day.
Winnywood

Tony McC
Site Admin

Don't be scared of the slurry primer - keep your work clean and you'll be fine.

A bucket of clean water, changed regularly, and a wet cloth/sponge to wioe down each unit as it is installed, and again after 15 mins or so, with a final thorough clean at the end of the shift, and it will all work out for you.

Far, far, FAR easier than pedestals! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert