Sealer remover / easyjoint - Use of sealer removers on easyjoint

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Sandilad

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. New to the forum and wasn’t sure where to ask. I have 120sqm of Indian sandstone patio with EasyJoint compound grout. Foolishly trying to save a few bob last year I coated it all with Thompson’s patio sealer. I’ve now seen the error of my ways and need to remove the remainder of the sealer after my recent power wash. I’d say it’s probably 35% coverage on my flags now. What’s the best product to use to remove the residual sealer that won’t damage my easyjoint? Once I’ve got rid of it I’ll be sure to use a decent treatment that impregnates rather than sits on the surface! Thanks in advance. Spent a lot of money having everything done so just want to get it back the best way possible

Was thinking of using “floorseal� sealer stripper? Last thing I need is all my easyjoint falling if I do! Thanks so much for any guidance :D

Tony McC
Site Admin

Anything that softens/dissolves the sealant is going to do the same to the EasyJoint because there is a shared chemsitry. If you had used a 2-part epoxy-based jointing compound, then there's no problem because they have a different chemistry that is largely immune to all but the most aggressive solvents.

The infamous Thomson Patio Ruiner has ballsed-up patio and driveways the length and breadth of the nation for may a year, yet they keep churning it out! Take what confort you can from the fact that you are not alone.

I think the best product to use, at least at first, is Resin-EX from Lithofin/Extensive. It works more gradually and it's easier to control, so you can attempt to minimise the damage to the EasyJoint. It usually takes a few applications for Resin-EX to get rid of everything, but it's worth taking the time and effort rather than diving-in with a nuclear-grade solvent that will eat the Patio Ruiner, the jointing and possible eat into the flagstone, too!

Check with the tech team at Extensive *before* buying. I suggested Resin-EX to another enquirer last month only to be contradicted by Extensive who said that, for the sealant in question, Wax Off was a better option. When it comes to stripping sealants, they have far more experience than I, so go with whichever they suggest!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Sandilad

Thanks Tony McC. I’ve dropped Extensive a message to seek their advice. Much appreciate your time 👍

RAPressureWashing

Wax-Off will remove the Thompsons rubbish, if you have access to a hot/steam pressure washer as well, this will aid the removal process.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

thomsons patio "ruiner" I have done 10k patios and then folk have gone and spent £30 on this and ruined it. I amean surely they should actually withdraw it from the market? as not fit for the purpose?
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Sandilad

Morning all. Just a quick update. Got in touch with James at Extensive who was remarkably helpful. He recommended the Wax-off product. Was a laborious task but managed to get 95% of the old sealer off. Could have carried on but I was losing the will to live by the end as you can only see where the sealer is once it's dried out! Appeared to have minimal impact on the Easyjoint grout, I had a little spalling here and there but I expect this was from the power washing rather than the product.

Anyway, resealed it yesterday with a impregnating sealer and it looks great. Thanks for all your help :D

Tony McC
Site Admin

Glad it worked out for you.....
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

a satisfied "customer" :)
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

MKspurs

Sandilad wrote:Morning all. Just a quick update. Got in touch with James at Extensive who was remarkably helpful. He recommended the Wax-off product. Was a laborious task but managed to get 95% of the old sealer off. Could have carried on but I was losing the will to live by the end as you can only see where the sealer is once it's dried out! Appeared to have minimal impact on the Easyjoint grout, I had a little spalling here and there but I expect this was from the power washing rather than the product.

Anyway, resealed it yesterday with a impregnating sealer and it looks great. Thanks for all your help :D
Hi, I’ve PMd you as I’m after some help on doing the same as this.

Thanks