Granite slabs supplementary question

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
JonL

Hi, as you'll see from my previous thread I'm staring down the barrel of a complete tear up and relay of some granite slabs. To try and avoid the same mistakes again, I have a few technique questions:

1) Previously when I laid the slabs I created a screed bed by running a piece of timber over the surface, guided by side timbers (like rails) to create a flat surface in the wet bed. Is this the best way to do it, or should I be creating something more choppy using a trowel?

2) When painting the SBR slurry on to the underside of the slabs, do I then try to get the slab down as quickly as possible or do I wait a few minutes for the slurry to stop dripping or become a bit tacky?

3) When laying the slabs down, should they be gently placed onto the bed and left or should I be creating some downward pressure (over and above the weight of the slab) to push the slab onto/into the bed?

4) When doing an area, it seems very hard not to need to put a foot on slabs you've previously laid, maybe hour or so ago, when laying others. Is this a problem, and if so, what tricks are there to avoid it?

Thanks,

Jon

Tony McC
Site Admin

Have you read *any* of the information on the main website?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert