Light mortar stains on indian stone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
andyste1

I laid a patio last August but was a bit careless when handling the mortar. As a result there are a multitude of finger and splash marks, and even footprints see photo here.

The stains are all but invisible when the paving is damp, so the last resort is to apply a matt sealer. Before I do this, are there any other options? Jet washing and wire brushing had zero effect. And I don't want to risk an acid-based cleaner in case it affects the paving or nearby fish pond!

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'd look at using a NON-ACIDIC cleaner first, see how that goes, and then, if further treatment si required, trial a small, discreet area with a phosphoric acid cleaner to see if that helps.

Relying on a sealant, no matter how good it may be, to temporarily mask a stain problem, only seals in the stain, protecting it from the very weathering that would, under normal conditions, see it vanish over a year or two....and then, when the sealant inevitably weathers away, you're right back at square one minus several twenty quid notes!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert