Newbie help needed! calibrated sandstone flags - Advice needed on sub-base

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Cueboy

Hi all,
I’m an ex chippie (now an office wallah) having a go at laying a path while I’m at home furloughed and am after some advice on the sub-base if anyone would be kind enough to help. This is my first time on a forum so go easy on me!
The path is going between my house and the boundary fence.
The space is about 950-1000mm wide and about 9.2m long.
I have some calibrated stone flags that were left over on a job and am intending to use them. I have enough 600 x 900 slabs to do the path and so I am intending to lay them one slab wide (900 wide).
There is an existing type 1 sub-base which is a little bit hit and miss but generally pretty good.
The trouble is that my neighbour recently had their fence renewed and the installer spread the soil from the post holes evenly over the type 1. Very kind of him!
I have tried scraping it off but it’s all mixed in and so I’m not sure if I need to run some more type 1 over the top or whether I can just lay the slabs over type top?
It will only ever be pedestrian traffic and, as they are calibrated and the path will be only one slab wide, I was intending to lay it onto a sharp sand and cement screed - unless someone tells me this is a terrible idea.
I have attached a photo.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
[URL=https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dudje7beu6vw ... h.JPG?dl=0]Side path

Tony McC
Site Admin

For a basic path, I'd just look to scrape off as much of the soil as is possible, hose it off, if necessary, then re-grade the sub-base, adding more stone if required, re-compact, then lay the flags on a full mortar bed, as described on the main website.

It's also a goiod idea to use a Bond Bridhe Slurry Primer on the undersode of the flags, more to protect against the risk of reflective staining than for additional adhesion.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Cueboy

Tony, that’s great - thanks.
Having read and read the website last night, that’s exactly what I did this morning.
Great to have the reassurance - much appreciated.
Also, thanks for the tip about the slurry primer. I wasn’t going to do it, but I will now.
Thanks again.
Brilliant website by the way.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Send me a photie when you've completed and I'll post it here....
Site Agent - Pavingexpert