Water based sandstone sealer recomendations

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
mairace

evening all.
i laid around 90 sqm of polished grey sandstone on my own property at the end of the summer which im now looking to seal.
wehn working for clients i never carry out any sealing as some time its can be more hassle than its worth with potential call backs.

as this is my own i would like to seal it as i have no doubt it will get food and drink stains. (we are also having a 50 person christmas party in 2 weeks)

due to the time of year it seems A water based/ breathable impregnator would be the best option due to high moisture levels but looking through the sealer tests and reviews there doesn't seem to be anything at all that offers any real stain protection. is this the reality or is there something out there that ive not found yet?
thanks.
ian

RAPressureWashing

Totally wrong time of the year to even think about sealing exterior paving. April thru to late September and even then the weather can go against you. Just give the paving a clean after the party, don't risk it.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'm with Roger - even with a water-based product, it's the worst possible time to apply a sealant. There's a real risk you will ruin your paving rather than rescue it!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mairace

morning guys.
i hope everyone is safe and well.
i just wanted to bring this post back to life as its getting towards the correct time of year and while ive got some much time on my hand.

would something waterbased still be a better option for its breathability?

its mainly food and drink stains im looking to avoid.

im looking to grout with ultra scape flowpoint next weekend, weather permitting and would like to get it all sealed shortly after.
thanks in advance for any help.
ian

Tony McC
Site Admin

As a site policy, I never make recommendations about sealants (why? Read: this page ), but that doesn't preclude me suggesting a very useful website - extensive.co.uk - but look beyond the ;headline act', the name that everyone nknows. They do products from other brands, several of which are water-based and, in my experience, offer far better value.

mairace

Thanks very much for your help Tony.
Would you say I’m best going with a water based product or would a solvent/ resin product be better?
I’m pretty clued up on products but it’s just a mine field.

After looking at your case studies, I’m worried a water based product won’t be good enough to protect the sandstone from oil/ food stains but also worried a resin or solvent based product won’t let the stone breath and potentially cause milky or dark patches under the sealer when moisture gets trapped

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Mairace
did the romans greeks and incas seal their stonework?
I have had good experiences with Lithofin MN stainstop on my own patio, but its impregnating if you plan to have people eating etc you must accept the inevitable
no sealant is bullet proof against stains
Dry treat is also very good but pricey and from my own experience on a par with the MN stain stop
good luck
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

There are truly excellent water-based products, just as there are truly excelklent solvent-based sealants. It's a matter of finding the one that does what it is you require for your particular project.

For sound, reliable advice from someone that *is* willing to make recommendations, ask to speak to James at Extensive - 01962 732 325 - tell him I referred you....

wario

I’ve been using Stain Stop on all of my interior stone and Encaustic work for almost 30 years, it’s excellent stuff.