Saga black sandstone turned green with algae

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
johncallaghan1977@gmail.c

Hi, I laid 30m2 is saga black sandstone at the end of August 2019 and I got a call from my customer today so I went to look and it was completely green with algae. It does wipe of easy and I can clean it easy but I was wandering g if anyone could advise me of the best algae preventing sealant that’s about that I could use to seal paving after I clean it. Any advice would be fantastic, thank you everyone
John Callaghan

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's page after page after page of sealant advice on the main website, starting here plus a whole series of trials for various popular sealants.

However, no sealant will keep algae completely at bay, and you'll still need to clean it every year, whereas a top-notch biocide treatment, such as Wet and Forget, keeps it clean permanently, with just one or two watering-can applications per year. I've been using it on my heavily-shaded driveway for the last 5 years and while the charmless, gormless git next door persists with wasting a couple of hours every 6 months or so power-washing his half of the drive, my half remains completely algae-free, crisp and clean, and the power washer is covered in cobwebs in the back corner of the shed.....

Site Agent - Pavingexpert

digerjones

What about all the oil stains off them auld bikes.
dylan

Tony McC
Site Admin

Modern Hinckley Triumph - no oil leaks!

(.....excpet for the occasional dribble from a leaky front fork seal which I keep meaning to fix) :D

digerjones

Ha. Not like my bsa.
dylan

Tony McC
Site Admin

All part of the charm, Dylan!

If I had the time, I'd love to have a 60s or 70s bike again, just to nurse and cherish. I'd have to fit a lecky start - I can't manage kick starts these days, not with my glass spine - but the sheer pleasure of thrundling along a country lane on a Sunday morning on a Beezer, an AJS or even an old Matchless like I used to have when I was 14.....there's just nothing like that! :)

mattg

Are these biocide treatments all equal or do some work better than others ??
Wet & forget is about £20 for 2 litres whereas Doff is currently in Aldi at £1.99 for 2 litres.
Or am I just being dense & they are completely different products...

Tony McC
Site Admin

I haven't done a direct comparison test but W&F never lets me down whereas the Doff is more than a bit temperamental.

Costco yesterday - in amongst the hordes fighting to get their allocation of bog roll - they were doing 5 litres W&F, enough for 300m², for 18 quid plus VAT

mattg

Thank's Tony, when you say "more than a bit temperamental" do you mean detrimental to the paving (sandstone) or just not removing the algae very well ?
Ashamed to say I didn't wait for an answer & now have a load of potentially duff Doff sitting at home...

Tony McC
Site Admin

I find it doesn't always work 100% every time and on every substrate, wheras W&F (so far) has an unblemished record.