Easy joint, slurry grout.

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
KAMIKAZEE DIY

Looked at it online and it says it must be put into joints that will drain. If I've prepared and compacted a type 1 base i don't think base is permeable.
The slabs have been laid to a fall of 1 in 50 so drainage on top level of paved area is quite generous.

Would easy joint be suitable for me?
Is it a good product?
Paving is indian sandstone.

Looked at GFTK? 800, 840, 850, it sounds fantastic but the price is putting me off.

Hopefully you can help.
Cheers

dig dug dan

Fear not. Ideally the joints need to be free draining, but not so much of you have a slope on the paving.
I have been using easijoint for years without issue or problems. It loves injun stone!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's a FAQ considering this.

Admittedly it focuses on the better 2-part resin mortars but the principles also apply to the inferior 1-part products.

Bear in mind that the 1-parters are very prone to going green with algae and moss when laid over an impermeable(ish) bed.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

KAMIKAZEE DIY

How does easy joint compare to weatherpoint?

Strength?

Does it give a real mortar look? I've noticedweatherpoint looks like polystyrene?

Is the application fool-proof? Some Amazon reviews saying instructions could be clearer?
Cheers

dig dug dan

A customer recently supplied some weatherpoint as he had an account with jewsons. It was exactly the same stuff, but more expensive. Probably comes from the same factory I would imagine.
It wont give a morter look, you would need easijoint for that, and dry weather.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Tony McC
Site Admin

They are not the same. WeatherPoint and FastPoint (which *are* the same) are manufactured on behalf of Marshalls at a factory they more-or-less own in Germany. EasyJoint is made in Ipswich.

They are both 1-part mortars, so I personally wouldn't use either (but that's me!) and while there is little to choose between them, from the very limited testing I've done, combined with anecdotal feedback, WP edges it.....just!

Neither look like a traditional cement mortar, even when tooled.

KAMIKAZEE DIY

How does rompox easy pointing mortar compare with easy joint and weatherpoint?
Is there an outright best product. Looking online think folks is the cheapest.
Cheers

KAMIKAZEE DIY

Is pointfix any good. A two part product.
You must get asked this all the time.
Sorry.
Cheers

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Kamikaze from my own experience all of the 1 parts dont last the 5 year test (happy to be corrected of course)
I have had good experiences with GFTK VDW 815 (2 part) but if you have the time proper sand and cement looks best IMHO
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

As LLL says, none of the 1-parts are as good as we'd like, but some are defintely better than others. In my own experience, I've not found any better than GftK 840+, although Romex Easy, along with Fast/WeatherPoint run a close second.

PointFix is a reasonable 2-part - no real issues, but I would say it's not quite as good as the 850 or D1, but as long as you get it thoroughly mixed (which isn't always as easy as it sounds) then you should be fine.

KAMIKAZEE DIY

Thanks. I'm going for pointfix, 2-part but a bit easier on the back pocket. I'll let you know how it goes. I've a paddle mixer i can put in my drill for mixing so that should help.

Apparently it can be used wet or dry, do you have any thoughts if one would produce better results than the other?

Thanks again.
Cheers

Tony McC
Site Admin

Wet .... I'd only ever use these product wet, abso-bloody-lutely soaking wet, otherwise the resin soaks into the stone and stains it.....permanently!

KAMIKAZEE DIY

Oh, installation video on they're website shows a guy mixing two bags that look like sand, tipping it out, spread round with a brush and striking with brick jointer but saying if it rains during installation it's no problem.

I liked the idea of pointfix because if it went in dry it would be easier to compact in the joints as you go, making a stronger joint.
Cheers

Tony McC
Site Admin

Your call.....but just before you commit, here's a photie I took last week of what happens to some paving when it has been 'dry jointed' using a resin mortar.....

KAMIKAZEE DIY

Thanks tony. I'll be soaking the area before using product. I emailed pointfix / pavestone and got reply saying you can do it wet of dry but if you wet the slabs first it stops the resin sticking to them, and, reducing the likelihood of staining.

It's disappointing that their installation video shows no use of water, although you can download a leaflet that mentions cleaning any residue with a sponge.
Cheers