2 part jointing compound - Jointing sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
diy_jim

Hi,

Recently finished installing our sandstone patio. Went with a very light ‘mint’ colour.

After reading though the site, I’d like to finish the job with a 2 part jointing compound. The local merchant stocks ‘simply joint professional jointing compound’ he has advised I’ll panic after installation as it will leave behind a sheen and enhance the colour.

I’m not after the ‘wet’ look as I like the colour of the stone dry. Is it possible to install 2 part without a sheen or film, if it’s only temporary how long would it take to weather away?

Lastly would the colour enhancement be permanent? I’m assuming by bringing out the colour it’ll look like it does after raining?
Thanks

Tony McC
Site Admin

The genuinely good quality 2-part resin mortars leave either no sheen/film (when used properly) or an effect that weathers away in a week or so.

The product you mention is not one I'd choose to use. I know it's cheaper than the 'top marques' but you do tend to get what you pay for with these mortars, particularly when it comes to technical support and long-term performance.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Bob_A

Tony McC wrote:The genuinely good quality 2-part resin mortars leave either no sheen/film (when used properly) or an effect that weathers away in a week or so.

The product you mention is not one I'd choose to use. I know it's cheaper than the 'top marques' but you do tend to get what you pay for with these mortars, particularly when it comes to technical support and long-term performance.
Hi Tony what 2 part mortars do you recommend.
Thanks

Tony McC
Site Admin

The Romex products and the GftK VDW mortars are all very good. Romex win on price; GftK (via NCC StreetScape) win on Technical Support.

Bob_A

Anyone know where you can buy Romex D1 around London and the south east?

Tony McC
Site Admin

Contact Scott at Cowley Stone - 01909 772302 - and he'll be able to tell you

Mickeywhizz

Tony,
Newbie on here, but oddly enough came across your site about 12 years ago when we first landscaped our garden. Our paver then used Geofix on about 50 sq. m of stone slabs / sets; a lot of which has either disintegrated or is supporting moss / weeds. Which of the two Romex or Gftk products would you recommend I use to replace it all, on the basis that I'll have to give it a go myself rather than paying a professional?
Michael Taylor

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's impossible to choose between them, honestly. They are both very, very good.

The advise I usually proffered when confronted with this question is.....

Gftk VDW 800 or 850 is usually a bit pricier but the tech support is superb and unrivalled.

Romex D1 is that bit cheaper, but tech support is patchy and you can wait a week or so to get a response.

....so, if you're confident and happy to lough on under your own steam, then it's hard to fault the D1, but if you feel you'd like the reassurance of having tech s'port at the end of the 'phone, and for them to have the patience to walk you through your first use, then it's probably worth paying that bit extra.

Having said that, it is very, *very* rare for there to be a technical issue with either product. I provide independent back-up for both manufacturers and it's exceptionally rare for it to be a product problem - in well over 99% of cases inb which I get invoilved, it's an installation problem (trans: the clown on the end of the brush didn't read the sodding instructions properly, if at all!)

Mickeywhizz

Tony McC wrote:It's impossible to choose between them, honestly. They are both very, very good.

The advise I usually proffered when confronted with this question is.....

Gftk VDW 800 or 850 is usually a bit pricier but the tech support is superb and unrivalled.

Romex D1 is that bit cheaper, but tech support is patchy and you can wait a week or so to get a response.

....so, if you're confident and happy to lough on under your own steam, then it's hard to fault the D1, but if you feel you'd like the reassurance of having tech s'port at the end of the 'phone, and for them to have the patience to walk you through your first use, then it's probably worth paying that bit extra.

Having said that, it is very, *very* rare for there to be a technical issue with either product. I provide independent back-up for both manufacturers and it's exceptionally rare for it to be a product problem - in well over 99% of cases inb which I get invoilved, it's an installation problem (trans: the clown on the end of the brush didn't read the sodding instructions properly, if at all!)
Thanks very much Tony, and apologies for the tardy response; I’d incorrectly assumed I’d be notified of a reply a la facebook and other forums I’m part of.

I think I’ll plumb for the one with the better support infrastructure.

Thanks again.
Michael Taylor

Tony McC
Site Admin

You can receive notifications of a response, if you want, by using the "Track This Topic" facility at the bottom left corner of this "box"

Freddy871

Apologies Jim, not trying to hijack , but have a question that is along the same lines that I am hoping Tont tc can advise on. I have just finished 40sqm of Honed Kandla 900x600 10mm gap. Now looking for a decent product but seems I have a small issue in that 50% of my new slabs are laid over MOT and 50% over an existing concrete sub base with a 50-60mm sharp bed of 5to1. On checking most products, they state must have a permeable sub base or do not use. The only option given by my local supplier is Steintec Tufftop. Looking at this, it doesnt seem an easy solution as see notes can be a pig to clean down. Any advise on potential products would be greatly received as dont want to screw up at this stage. Cheers J. Or am I over thinking it.

Tony McC
Site Admin

I wrote about this issue some time ago and it's not become any clearer since, sadly. FAQ

Most of the resin-based jointing mortars, both one-part and two-part, declare that a permeable bedding should be used beneath the paving, and this is perfectloy true, in an ideal world. The porblem we have in Britain and Ireland is that, by and large, we are still laying our paving on more-or-less impermeable bedding. So: should we not use resin-based jointing mortars?

The situation is that, while these mortars work far better when used with paving laid on a permeable bed, they *will* work well enough with paving laid on standard mortar or similar. It's less than ideal, but then we don't live in an ideal world.

TuffTop is an excellent product, there is no doubt, but is has exactly the same requirements: it works best with a permeable bedding mortar, but it's not the end of the world when it's used with paving laid in the more traditional manner.

The better two-parts and the TuffTop are not really affected by the near-permanent damp that arises within a pavement joint when an impermeable bedding mortar has been used. Some of the one-part polymnerics fare far less well, though, and a handful of the really crappy ones will, literally, fall apart after a season or two, The biggest issue with any permeable jointing mortars, 1-part, 2-part, or cementitious, when used over an impermeable bed, is the resulting 'reservoir' becomes an ideal home for mosses and other undesirable vegetation.....but that's easily shifted by weedkiller or pressure washing.

Freddy871

As always thanks tony for your words of wisdom, had another scout around today and came across a 2 part product "Nexus ProJointâ„¢ V75-WTâ„¢" Had a chat with their technical team who were very helpful and gave very helpful advice. Just wondered if you or any other had any comments before i pull the trigger. They also do slightly smaller packed products single part , but the V75 looks best value for quantity and colour as dont really like the grainy mustard type ones ive seen.

Tony McC
Site Admin

I know some like the Nexus, and some don't. It's not a bad product, per se, but it's not in my personal top two or three. I base my own choices on performance, handling, value and, most importantly, technical back-up.

However, if you are happy with it, then that's the main thing.