Removing sealer from sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Alilou151

I had a stove installed and the stove installer put LTP Ironwax sealer on it which turned the lovely light grey sandstone to a dirty grey/brown. I got some LTP Power stripper which has taken the shine off and slightly brought the colour back but not to the original stone. Is there any way I can get it back to its original state or is it a lost cause?! I'm totally devastated I hate it! It just looks patchy now and one stone is a different colour so it must of taken in more sealer than the other piece.
Alison Ward

Tony McC
Site Admin

Have you spoken to LTP? I generally find them to be incredibly helpful, and they, of all people, would be best placed to advise on the potential removal of the Ironwax.

I've never used that particular product, but would repeated applications of the Power Stripper be worth trying?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Tony McC
Site Admin

....as an afterthought: have you tried an oil remover, such as OT8? I find that can penetrate relatively deep into the stone/concrete when I need to shift stubborn oil stains, and wax is, after all, only a super-thick oil.

Just a thought! :D

Alilou151

Thanks Tony, I have emailed LTP some photos of before and after of what i have applied so I will await their reply. I've read about Miracle Liquid Poultice parts A & B so I might give that a go as a last resort. I will email a company about a possible sample of OT8 otherwise this could g
et expensive buying all these products in the hope that one works!!
Alison Ward

RAPressureWashing

The OT8 & the Miracle liquid poultice won't touch that product, it's an acrylic sealer, so unfortunately you'll need to strip the product off, as it is also a film forming product, I take it this is an internal surface?
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

Alilou151

R&A Pressure Washing wrote:The OT8 & the Miracle liquid poultice won't touch that product, it's an acrylic sealer, so unfortunately you'll need to strip the product off, as it is also a film forming product, I take it this is an internal surface?
Yes it is internal so I can't pressure wash it. Just ordered the miracle poultice today aswell before I read your reply.
Alison Ward

RAPressureWashing

Can you post/put up a photo?, there are a couple of gel like strippers that should remove this, but would need to see it first.

Appreciate it can't be pressure washed as internal, you would need a wet-vac though to collect/extract any fluids as water would be needed to clean either of the strippers off.

Alilou151

I'm not sure how to post a photo as it says to enter the URL.
Alison Ward

RAPressureWashing

Same here haven't a clue how to post photos since photo box changed, if Tony is reading this thread he'd be able to explain how to post photos

Alilou151

Here's an idea! Can I just paint it?! Haha that would be a quick fix and more pleasing on the eye until I can afford to rip it out and start again!!
Alison Ward

RAPressureWashing

A strip isn't meaning tearing up the sandstone !! a strip is removing the sealer used... nothing that drastic... you can always email me a photos if you want, my email is in my signature below.

Tony McC
Site Admin

As I've just posted elsewhere....

How to upload photies

....or send them to me via brewcabin AT cormaic DOT co DOT uk and I'll upload on your behalf...

I was talking about the problem of uploading photies with LLL at our high level brain-storming session in Bar Eireann last night, and I *AM* working on a new, improved Brew Cabin, but the main website redevelopment is taking up most of my time just now. As soon as that is done, and my wallet recovers, I'll get the new Brew Cabin commissioned.....

Bob_A

I don't have any problems uploading photos or doing links but I reckon it's because I use either a laptop or PC to surf the interweb, can't stand using mobile phones it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure. I think many people struggle when they use a phone. I've seen it happen on a fishing forum that I use. 15 years ago when I first started using it that forum was embellished with photos and links now that many are now phone users they find it too difficult and the forum suffers

Another problem is Photobucket blocking images unless you pay their exorbitant prices.An alternative is https://imgbb.com/