Sandstone supplier, type, and sealing - Queries from a diyer

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Alex1357

I'm nearly there with the ground preparation before I lay some sandstone slabs.

I have a couple of questions in relation to the type of sandstone.

1) I plan to order the sandstone from a local supplier, Sandstone Supplies in Warrington. I've been and had a look at the slabs, and they seem to look very good. However, being a DIYer, I'm no expert. Has anyone used them?

2) I plan to buy sawn rippon, I believe this is the same as the camel stone. Is this a hard, low maintenance stone?

3) I've read hundreds of differing opinions on sealing- I've read that sawn sandstone must be sealed compared with riven. Is it really necessary with a sawn rippon or kandla grey?

Thanks,
Alex

Tony McC
Site Admin

1 - I live just outside Warrington. I wasn't overly impressed with that particular stockist.

2 - it's what I call a mid-range stone: not as awful as Mint or Rainbow; not as reliable as Kandla Grey.

3 - Again, it's a mid-point stone: it can fare reasonably well (with regular maintenance) if left unsealed, whereas pre-sealing would minimise installation stains. Sealing post-installation is practically impossible at this time of year due to the damp, but there are a handful of good water-based sealants that may be possible to use just now.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Alex1357

In reference to point 1, was it the setup or the quality of the stone? Would you recommend Cheshire sandstone more so?

Tony McC
Site Admin

I am always *extremely* reluctant to "recommend" any particular supplier unless I know them well and would actually be doing business with them were I still in the contracting business. Too many companies take my complimentary words as some sort of "recommendation" when it is nothing of the sort - they are 'complimentary comments' and nothing more, yet I repeatedly see such-and-such being touted as "Recommended by pavingexpert.com".

I've visited almost every significant supplier of paving materials within 50 miles of Warrington over the last 20 years, usually without announcing myself, so that I get to see what the general public gets to see, and one of the most notable suppliers that never fails to impress me with quality, service and knowledge is Landscape World in Widnes. For any work in Warrington, if I was still installing, I'd more than likely be buying my stone (and much more besides) from Chris and his team.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert