The dreaded black limestone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Bob_A

Hi Tony I know there's no guarantee but if the 654 isn't normally too bad and I know I've been warned but I'm going to chance and not pre-seal down to cost, If I remember correctly Lithofin isn't exactly cheap.
The patio is at the other end of the garden where my summerhouse is and next doors Leylandii. The reason for a granite patio is to allow easy sweeping of the bits that come off next doors Leylandii and hopefully reduce the amount that's picked up and trodden into the summerhouse.
I'll see how it goes, keep the area as clean as possible over the winter and if necessary seal it next year when its dry and warmer.

Your advice you gave to the enquirer a day or two ago, was that a direct answer to 654 or a coverall answer to all problematic stones?

Thanks for your help :)

Bob_A

Just had a thought would a coat of SBR to the underside of the planks act as a sealer from moisture below and something that could be done any time of the year. Then if necessary seal from the top when the weather is better?

Tony McC
Site Admin

The quoted advice was about granite in general but the enquirer was wondering whether to opt for G654.

A primer coat of SBR/cement *will* minimise the risk of moisture seeping through from beneath, but it can;t do anything about the 'picture framing' effect that often occus when these porous granites are jointed with either a cement- or a resin mortar.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Bob_A

Thank you Tony for your comments on this thread and the others I've posted in recently.
Most appreciated :D