Laying porcelain tiles with mot type 1 - Laying porcelain tiles recommendations

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Georgie

Hi All,

I need some guidance and advice please :)

I’m in the process of laying a rear patio at my bungalow, I have cleared the ground and installed a compacted MOT type 1 base. I would looking at installing a pebble edging, with brick edging and porcelain tiles (600mm x 600mm x20mm). The size of the patio is ~40m2.

I would like to know what’s the best way to lay the porcelain tiles? I was looking at a pedestal system however not sure if these will be stable enough on the MOT Type 1 base this would also increase the patio cost of around ~£500 - £700 pending on the pedestal height.

Question: Would I be able to lay a bed of sharp sand or small > 10mm gravel, on the MOT type 1 base as a thickness of 20 >25mm and lay the porcelain tiles directly onto this bed of material? This would be a dry installation and if so which is preferred sand or gravel?

Any advice, guidance or help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Georgie

Tony McC
Site Admin

What you need is this page... Laying Porcelain Paving

Pedestals really need a firm and immovable base if they are to be effective. I have seen them used on top of a DTp1 sub-base, and it was little short of an effin' disaster! The slightest movement of the sub-base and the pedestal goes with it. :(
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Georgie

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the advise,

Im not fixed on porcelain tiles therefore is they another method or material that i could use to achieve a cost affective patio? given that i have already put down a sub-base?

The reason at i ask is that i could put gravel down as a cheaper alternative but a patio of some sort would be nicer. :)

Kind Regards
Georgie

Georgie

Hi,

Woudl i be able to installed a bed of sharp sand and then place Granite paving slabs on this, without using a wet mix?

So the same that you would do with a front block driveway just with a larger paver?

Tony McC
Site Admin

You could, but it wouldn't be very good. Granite flags really need to be laid on mortar, not on loose sand.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert