Silver granite patio seal and joint?

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
GavP

Hi Alrat

This is perfect - I have just finished laying 5m * 5m of these very slabs so am looking at sealing & pointing so I will go for the exact method you have used.

Here's a photo of mine, bear in mind I've never done any bricklaying nor paving before - added to the fact the wife thought a rounded corner would be a nice touch...aaargh!

https://drive.google.com/file....sharing

Do you have any photographs of your finished job BTW?

Thanks!

G

Tony McC
Site Admin

Very impressive!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

alrat

Hi GavP,

Nice work there, hard to admit I know, but I think your wife was right about the rounded corner :)

I'm glad you found my post useful and note you've been helpful too, posting your own tips. That's what it's all about, couldn't have done it without the help of Tony and others on here, so it's nice to give a little back.

As requested, here's the finished article, new patio and wall. First time for me too and possibly the last, it's seriously hard work, but I'm happy with the result.

https://imgur.com/rxxKchb

Some tips on the sealing and jointing, if you are planning the same as me.

1. Make sure you seal the edges of the flags, not just the top. This prevents the oil from the jointing compound soaking in and staining the flag. Don't get too carried away and seal the mortar in the joints though, you want them to remain permeable.

2. In this area there's about 33m2 and I used roughly 2.5 to 2.75 litres of Lithofin Stain Stop W to do 2 coats with an emulsion roller.

3. Don't just brush in the EasyJoint (if you're using it) or any other 1 part jointing compound. If you want a better result, really pack it in, I found filling and compressing 3 times, gave a real solid fill, takes longer but worth it.

4. Tony would undoubtedly shot me down if I didn't mention this one. Keep things soaking wet all the time and make sure you hose off all the oil from the surface of the flags as you go.

I noted that if you wet things too much and your joints are water-logged, because you try and fill them before the water has drained, the jointing compound can almost float over the top rather than fill the gap. All the more reason to ensure you compress, rather than just brush in. This is probably due to the water taking a bit longer to penetrate my 1:5 mix, rather than the recommended 1:6. Also I took the extra paranoid approach of doing one flag at a time soaking then feeding the EasyJoint in to the gaps with a small squeegee, for extra precision, rather than brushing all over everything. Good results, but took 3 hours rather than probably 1 if I'd just brushed in as suggested.

As mentioned in an earlier post the slight yellowing of the joint edges is a very minor issue, must be the EasyJoint oil coming to the surface as it dries. Looks like an old man's grey moustache after too many cigarettes :laugh:

Good luck with your patio sealing and jointing.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Cracking post, Alrat! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert