Novice needs help levelling (with fall) sub-base - Help levelling (with fall) sub-base

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Egg80

Hello all,

I really need some advice having never attempted anything like this before.

I am attempting to build a 28m² (4x7m) patio and so far I have:

Dug out soil to 150mm
Added 6 tonnes of type 1 MOT sub-base
Compacted
Added some sharp sand to fill some of the voids left by the type 1

I now have 2 problems:

1. I'm worried about levelling as the size of the grains are so large and there doesn't seem to be enough grit for binding. When I try and use a
spirit level and drag them, the stones just don't sit right. do I need MOT type 2?

2. I forgot to incorporate a fall from the house so the base so far is 'relatively' flatish. What's my next steps since I buried my pegs to set the height.

Many thanks in advance from a complete noob!

rock size

trying to level with rake

adding course sand to fill voids

bubble is central showing no fall :(

Tony McC
Site Admin

The DTp1 is a bit on the crappy side. There should be far more fines in the mix. Se Sub-base Materials page and also look at the very last photie on that page.

You need to create the fall in the sub-base - you do NOT generate fall with the laying course. That's asking for trouble.

Add or remove DTp1 as necessary to create the fall you require.

Not sure what it is you are trying to achieve with the sand blinding. Is it just "void filling" or do you think summat else is happening?

Edited By Tony McC on 1565542728
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Egg80

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I am planning on getting 2 tonnes of ballast in to raise the level at the house end and ill remove some at the fall end.

The sand was to fill voids but obviously now Ill be covering it over with ballast.

Thanks for the reply.