How to remove grouting marks on sandstone - Grout staining on sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
RAPressureWashing

London Stone Paving wrote:
Penlop wrote:Thanks for that Steve

I will attempt it myself with a lot of elbow grease and protection! Just checking though, do you recommend using the 50/50 solution undiluted?

Penny

Hi Penny

Yes the 50/50 solution should be un-diluted. But make sure you soak the area with water first.

Any advice or further information, you can always contact me

Steve

And cover the glass surround before you do anything as any of those acids can and will etch the glass, you quick fix boys!!!!
When will people learn that a quick fix without the proper preparation is not a quick fix in the end.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

Penlop

Now I'm really scared!!
The glass is held in a rubber gasket (Qrail) so that could get damaged too! Any idea how much it would cost to have it done professionally and if there is anyone down in my neck of the woods (Brixham) or who would be prepared to travel?

Penny
PB

RAPressureWashing

Sorry if that scared you, but some care is needed when doing stuff like this.
How long has the paving been down?
What have you sealed the paving with?

It is a bit to far for us to travel but let me see if I know someone down that way that can help.

Penlop

Thanks for the prompt reply Roger. The stone was laid in Feb/March and grouted without sealing ( I had said I wanted to seal it first). I tried scrubbing with Lithofin power clean, didn't get anywhere then applied Lithofin colour intensifier in April. After the builders said the white marks would go I thought I should give it a bit longer but now the balustrade is up it seems to intensify the finish of the grouting!

I haven't yet applied the sealant I bought from London stone so hope the stone can still be cleaned. I'm still prepared to give it a go as Steve has suggested but am very wary. You are all so helpful on here- wish I'd found you earlier (before the glass went up!)

If anyone wants to travel- free accommodation!

Penny

early bird
PB

London Stone Paving

Penny

the person I reccomended from Croydon would be more than willing to travel down to fix it. He is extremely proficient at this type of job. He is actually one of our stone masons who does his own cleaning and maintenance jobs at the weekends. He understands stone, he understands the different types of chemcials which are suitable for the different types of stones. He has solved this exact type of problem on dozens of occasions and the feedback we get from clients is always good. I will post pictures later of jobs he has done removing grout stains from harvest sawn sandstone (exactly the problem you have). It wont cost a fortune and you will get the complete peace of mind that the job will be done right.

He his coming over later so I will get an idea of cost and get some pictures of his completed work posted on the site

Steve

Penlop

Thats great Steve- thanks for yor time on this. Look forward to hearing from your man from Croydon and seeing his work

Penny
PB

RAPressureWashing

Penny

I'll let Steve take care of this one, but just let me know if we can be of any use in the future.

Penlop

Thanks Roger for all your words of wisdom and warning. When its done I'll hopefully be able to post some 'after' pictures

Penny :)
PB

London Stone Paving

Hi Penny

Here is a before and after photo of something Boris did recently

The stone in the picture is the same stone as yours and with virtually the same problem. I had a conversation earlier with Boris and he just asked what the area was in m2 ?

Steve

Penlop

I think about 40m2. The picture is encouraging although no problem with glass round the edge! I guess the washings will have to be brushed down the steps at either end or into the drains and soakaway in the garden if that's safe

Penny

Ps would he be interested in relaying 5 slabs at the front door while he's here?!
PB

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

its not boris the bullet dodger is it steve?
I thought he was finished in snatch?

joking aside that is a vast improvement
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

London Stone Paving

Penlop wrote:I think about 40m2. The picture is encouraging although no problem with glass round the edge! I guess the washings will have to be brushed down the steps at either end or into the drains and soakaway in the garden if that's safe

Penny

Ps would he be interested in relaying 5 slabs at the front door while he's here?!
I mentioned the glass to Boris and he said he has worked around it before. He will bring correx and strong tape etc and cover the glass and rubber
When he washes away the excess solution its going to be heavily diluted by the water so it should not cause any problems. I will ask him about the slabs and also get a final price for you

London Stone Paving

lutonlagerlout wrote:its not boris the bullet dodger is it steve?
I thought he was finished in snatch?

joking aside that is a vast improvement
LLL
He is very good at it. He takes a lot of pride in it and he knows every trick in the book

Penlop

Well, It really was worth contacting you all. I have to use the forum to say a big THANK YOU to Steve at London stone for guiding me to Boris and to Boris himself who truly performed miracles in getting rid of the grouting marks.
He came down to Devon from Croyden and spent nearly 11 hours doing what he had hoped would be a 4 hour job! The initial chemicals didn't work as I had used Lithofin colour enhancer which I guess had sealed in the problem. Then followed several hours of buffing and more chemicals as he was determined to get the job done. I've emailed Steve some photos to upload to show you all the 'after' and hope you can see what a great job he's done. (will seal them in a couple of days as or so as they are still showing a very slight sign of efflorescence). All my fears about the glass and rubber seal were unfounded - he took great care to protect them.

Thank you all! :D :D
PB

London Stone Paving

Hi Penny

Really glad that you are happy. Just be certain that the stone is absolutely dry before you seal, although in this weather that wont take long. Here are the photos