Mixing semi-dry bedding?

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
PhilW

After much preparation, the slabs should finally be going down this weekend.

One question - the slabs are being laid onto a standard 10:1 semi dry mix. I have 9 sq meters to lay, so thats getting on for 0.8 tonne of sand:cement to be mixed (according to the calculator on the main site).

Is it 'standard procedure' to mix the semi-dry in a mixer, or by hand?

Having mixed concrete etc in the past by hand, I know its bloody hard work! But what about a dry mix?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

always a better mix in the mixer,apart from one instance,when doing the pointing mix i find it goes better by hand,
but hopefully i wont be doing any more pointing using romex or such like instead
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

only problem is i rang up bannister hall today and they have run out,apparently some scally had the last 11 tubs :;):
i fancy using the gft but after just getting the feel for romex i am tempted to stay loyal
do you use the resin and knock it up in the mixer john or do you get the easy stuff?
i find the resin seems to go off a lot harder (mixer is still coated with it, grrr bleedin apprentices)
also do you use a squeegee or brush? i use a brush then run a jointing iron over it to make sure all the voids are full,then brush again,i suppose it takes me about 1 hour to do 10 m like this but i feel better for pushing it in with the jointer.
if romex is the only innovation i ever get from this site then it has been worth it IMHO
cheers LLL
:) oh and the paving markers,they work a treat on sandstone,only problem is they hardly wear out :) so my 20 will last me ages

Edited By lutonlagerlout on 1180126730

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

i had an Irish wolfhound help me do similar,i wondered what the feck was going on when he came round for the 3 tub in 15 minutes!

you know aco drains yeah?

do i need to tell you the rest?

lets just say there was an anglo irish meeting of profanity that day

LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Stuarty

lol i can just imagine :p

seanandruby
Site Admin

I wonder just how long your operatives last with you. not only do you give them animal names you make them act like animals to. show some respect for the men who make you money. i had a boss call me horse once he had a shock when he got a horse kick in the bollicks. :;):
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

its all in the context sean,we have a fierce craic at work and there is a lot of banter both ways
for some reason i used to get called horse a lot when i was younger by the irish lads but it didnt bother me.
its when no-one talks to you its time to worry
the brown hessian bag may be just around the corner
LLL :;):
p.s. 10 years the guy in question

Edited By lutonlagerlout on 1180127145

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Stuarty

the firm im work for has a high turnover of staff, approx 35 - 40 guys been and gone in around 3 and a half years.

We always try to have a good banter throughout the day, the atmosphere is always better, although there is 2 lads who get it tight every single time heh

seanandruby
Site Admin

I also have the craic on site. the bit i didn't like was ..."pushing it in with his fingers and on his knees". i just hope you supplied gloves and knee pads. i know we have to get the job done, it just sounded derogatory put that way. i have been called all sorts, its how its said that matters. ???
sean