Black Mortar Pointing

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
68-1093879220

I'm thinking of pointing my newly-laid patio with black mortar. The patio is elliptical about 10m wide and 5m deep (and yes, a lot of cutting was involved !). Slabs are concrete reproductions of riven stone (Bradstone Old Town, 'mellow cotswold' shade). It's a random pattern using six sizes. Joint widths vary from 10mm to 25mm, with the odd 30mm and occasional 35mm. Only two problems - one, I'm not sure how it will look - does anyone have a picture of a yellowish riven slabs in a random layout pointed with black mortar ? Two - is the black mortar going to stain more than normal mortar ? I'm thinking of using a pointing tray (Stonemarket do one) - are these any good for a novice user ?

84-1093879891

Hi Duncan,

the buff riven flags look best poited with a buff mortar, in my opinion. The black mortar is a bit strong and stark, but I'll see if I have any photos in my library. I know I have some pics of buff riven with white (ie, pink) mortar, but I'm not sure what others I have.

With regard to the tray, I wouldn't waste my time, but then, I'm a so-called professional and have been pointing flags since I was 5 years of age (Thanks Dad!). However, somewhere else on this message board, one of the DIY fraternity tried out the pointing tray and reckoned it was a right pile of shi...err, rubbish.

The key to neat pointing is using a stiff mix and being prepared to take your time. "Point in haste, regret at leisure", as a wise flagger once said. :)

I'll have a look for those pictures later today.

68-1093879220

Thanks Tony - it's good to talk to someone who knows their stuff. I can't remember where I read that black mortar would look good with riven flags - possibly somewhere on your site but I'm not sure.

Do you reckon my occasional wide joints (35mm) are going to look UK ? The Bradstone glossy says joint widths should be variable between 10mm and 30mm and mine are almost all in that range - just the odd one or two that are wider. Mostly its where there's a big slab (2x2 or 3x2) adjacent to a run of smaller ones. But the whole patio is quite big and bold and to my eye the unpointed joint widths look fine.

Thanks again

84-1093879891

Yes, it's a favourite tip of mine top point riven flags with black mortar, but it depends on the colour of the flags. Black looks great with real yorkstone and the darker riven copies.

As for the wide joints, is there no chance of re-aligning the flags to even out the joint width? 35mm is the upper limit, really - you can make these exceptionally wide joints look less obvious by making them into a 'feature'. Once you've pointed the joint, press in some small (15-20mm) pebbles or chunks of slate/stone and smooth off the mortar around them. :)

68-1093879220

Well if 35mm is the upper limit, then I think I can live with one or two of that size, especially next to a big (3x2) slab and pointed in mortar of a similar colour (I was a bit worried about wide joints and black mortar).

Maybe I'll sign my name in the pointing - like an artist signing a painting - what do you think ?

Thanks again for your help and advice.