Mortar joints

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
115-1093880790

You have a great information base in this web site!
My question is that I live in a climate with freezing temperatures for up to 4 months and i have been told that i should not mortar my joints for the flags without a concrete base. With your methods is this ok? Will my joints push and crack. Should I mix cement in the screeding process. I prefer the mortared look and value your advise in this process. My flag is approximately 40 - 50 mm thick and will be delivered in a day! Any info would be great.
thanks
scott

84-1093879891

The usual method for paving in very cold climates is to ensure the bedding, the jointing an dthe flags themselves all have similar or identical expansion/contraction rates so the whole pavement acts as one, almost. Therefore, the bedding needs to be a concrete, a C20 equivalent (I'm not sure what spec is used in your homeland, but see the Concretes page for a more detailed explanation of what constitues a C20) with an added frost-proofing agent. Similarly, the jointing mortar should be a Class II with added frostproofer. The bedding should be at least 100mm thick, but I know of some instances in N.America where a 250mm thick concerte bedding layer has been used, laid atop a compactyed sub-base.

Depending on the size and layout of your paving, you will need to provide movement joints at regular intervals. 3 metre centres seems to be a popular choice for movement joints in flagged patios and driveways, but final choice depends on site conditions and bed thickness.