Transverse ridge - Conflicting advice

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
R1chyo

Hi there, hope someone can help here. I am having more gravel added to my drive as building work has resulted in the whole thing being churned up and being quite weedy. Ultimately I want to extend the drive area (still using gravel) when the garage gets built (eventually, cash too tight now).

I would like to get the threshold installed now however, so will want a decent job done. Struggling to get any builder to be interested in just installing a threshold (guess too small a job?) but I eventually had one round the other day. I would like darkish setts used and noted the advice on the website to have a transverse ridge to retain the gravel as much as possible.

My one interested builder is suggesting excavation, wire mesh and then the setts. He is adamant that I don’t need a hump which will look ‘wrong’, rather a slope up to the final finish level of the new gravel.

I get the need for the slope to prevent water running the wrong way, but the hump seems more logical to also retain the gravel. Any thoughts on this? I desperately want the job done as I’ve been trying for a long time to find someone, so don’t want to scare him off, but dont want gravel drifting into the street either! Many thanks!

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's difficult to visualise this, and I'm not at all sure what this "wire mesh" would do. A photie of the area would be a huge help.

A transverse ridge will be more akin to speed hump, so it serves two purposes: retaining the gravel and slowing down vehicles. If that's what you want, then this "builder" should do as instructed.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert