Repointing old yorkshire setts - Best jointing for old uneven setts?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
KevinL

Hi, Ive' read the advice on different jointing methods on this brilliant site, but still don't feel confident. I've got about 200sqm of 150 yr old setts. It's sloping and pretty uneven. The joints vary from 10mm to 50mm width. It was once jointed with pitch but that's long gone leaving a massive problem with weeds! So I want to dig out the joints and repoint. But the sloping uneven ground and quite wide joints make me uncertain which method to use. So any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.
Kevin L

Tony McC
Site Admin

All of the choices are examined in excuciating detail on the main website - cements mortars, resin mortars, loose fill and pitch. https://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing-for-paving

You have to determine which is right for you and your project. What suits your skill level? What about budget? Timescale?

I know what I would do in your position but that doesn't mean it would be the right choice for you. You may not have the tools, the required skills may be too much for a DIYer, or the cost could be well beyond what you can afford.

All I can suggest is that you read through those options and determine which would work for you.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

KevinL

Thanks Tony. I have moderate DIY skills, and very little budget. Timescale is flexible. I have already looked through all the info on your site, which is brilliant. But like I say, I feel unsure. I think I'll go with mortar as the setts are so uneven and the gaps so varied. But I used mortar before on some of the setts and it only lasted a couple of years before breaking up :(
Kevin L

Tony McC
Site Admin

You need to use a 'beefed-up' mortar - https://www.pavingexpert.com/sbr_01
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

KevinL

Bless ya! Brillaint. Thank you.
Kevin L