Tar and chip - 6mm golden shingle

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Nickling

Hi all.
I’m just calculating how much 6mm shingle I should use when tar and chipping a driveway. I’ll be using Colas Loechip bitumen emulsion. I reckon about 1ton of shingle per 50m2
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Tony McC
Site Admin

There are all sorts of factors affecting the rates of coverage for both the binder and the aggregate used in surface dressing and it's a skill that really does require an experienced team with all the right equipment.

For most Surface Dressing teams, the season is now all but over - the end of September is widely accepted as the last date for acceptable conditions to ensure a fairly reasonable result. I'd be very inclined, given the weather outside right now, to leave such a project until next Spring.

With a single size 6mm aggregate (S6) and assuming a single spread technique, a professional team should achieve 90-120 m² per tonne, but that's based on effective sweping and re-use with minimal surplus cover.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert