Natural spring drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
JW1970

Natural spring drainage

Advice on how to deal with a natural spring please. Our house is on a hillside, the back garden being higher than the front garden. Our rear neighbours have a natural spring on their land which runs into our back garden and creates a large bog. The spring has been there for 20+ years but has been particularly bad in the last few months. I'd normally expect it to dry up early summer and come back after Christmas. Right now the water flow is probably equivalent to a tap being on a quarter turn. Our house has soakaways for rain water and sewerage connections for dirty water. I do not want to use the soakways for the spring because that would bring the water closer to our house and I doubt they were designed to cope with a spring particualry as we have clay soil. I can't see any other way but to run the water into the sewerage system. Is this a definite no-no? Are there any other options? Thanks in advance. James.

digerjones

Re: Natural spring drainage

How does the water get away from the soakaways at present. I'd try that first. Any pictures. The spring will have been there since the ice age
dylan

JW1970

The soakaways seem to work fine for the rain water from the house but I doubt they would cope with a steady flow from the natural spring at the back of the garden. There is a road at the front of the house. On the opposite side of the road there is a gutter drain that takes road rain water away. Is it permissible to have a connection made to this?
James.
John W

digerjones

If its the other side of the road, it might be a bit complicated
dylan