Few questions and have I got this right

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Driveway111

Few questions and have I got this right

Hi i am wondering if you can please help with a few questions to make sure i have got this right.... i have never done this and as much help as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Questions

Layers are Geotextile

MOT Type 1

Grit sand

Pavers

1) Compact soil (clay) down before MOT Type 1

2) OK to use heavy duty compactor for MOT and then use lightweight one for sand and blocks (reason for this is I wish to do the drive in stages)

3) Ok to drive on compacted MOT for a few weeks before sand and blocks added as doing in stages.

4) Bought geotextile membrane non woven and the surface going over is a bit clay like. Is this ok

5) Do you need to seal the drive afterwards

Edging looking to do 5 cm compacted MOT with 10cm Cement and 5cm paver. Is this ok?

6) Looking at using kerb stones for the entrance and they are 100mm high…Are these ok or would I need larger ones. These will sit on 5cm compacted mot and 10 cm cement with haunch of around 3 cm at front and 5cm at the back

Edging

Bed Mix - 6 Gravel (10mm), 3 Grit Sand, 1 cement

100 to 150mm Bed trample and top up to 25mm of string line then tap down

Haunch Mix – 4 Gravel (10mm), 2 Building Sand and 1 Cement

Haunch 25-50mm Slump

Bedding Layer

Grit sand 25-40mm

Lay 30 – 50mm higher than the level required and then do 1- 2 passes with compactor.

Topup and screed to required level

Using 50mm pavers so 41-43mm screed depth

Paving

45 degree Herringbone

Finish with Jointing sand then use compactor to compact down?

Is Resibond required . Thanks very much for your time and hopefully i havent missed anything

Kind regards

Leon

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Re: Few questions and have I got this right

Hi Leon
your method sounds fine
the only thing that is odd is "compacting clay" generally all loose ground is dug away to subgrade before the nonwoven fabric is installed, so this wont need compacting also on your edgings better to use 150mm of leanmix rather than type one then concrete
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Driveway111

Hi thanks for confirming....only questions i have left is what do you mean by lean mix and once i have done the edging, how far should the mot be from the bottom of the edging brick as if i bring it flush with the brick there wont be space for the sand

Driveway111

Ah lean mix is my bedding mix...so just make it to the height required and put paver on this

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

yes Leon
sorry I have been away
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE