York stone paving project

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
mickavalon

York stone paving project

Hi all

I have a very large project we're quoting for, approximately 200m2 40mm rando size new York stone, with also 2 sets of bullnose steps to build, both 2200 wide by 7 steps approx. 400mm treads and 150mm risers. We've not laid this quantity of York stone before, so we're quite excited to get the chance but I have a couple of questions I wanted to sound out before I send the quote. A: Would it be better practice to lay this on a full wet bedding mix 6:1 or a semi dry screened bed? We're going to slurry the backs but I'm thinking wet bedding might be
messy and, due to the weight more awkward than a semi dry(or dry for that matter) screened bed? B: Has anyone had any experience in using vacuum lifters with York stone, especially if we go down the screened bed route.
C: The clients want to maintain the look of the paving, so we're thinking of pre-sealing the paving, anyone got any recommendations or experience? I'm thinking Drytreat and also offering a maintenance schedule.
D: We normally use Flowpoint, again anyone know any reasons not to go with it?
Cheers
Mick
Gi it sum ommer

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Re: York stone paving project

hi Mick
I would try and get the supplier to pre seal if possible
we have used dry treat and lithofin MN stainstop,I prefer the lithofin
although a fan of wet bedding i guess with heavier flags dry bedding might work well
we did a 30 m2 reclaim york stone last year and used wet bedding
if i could work out how to post a picture I would ;-)
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

mickavalon

The supplier doesn't provide the service and doesn't really recommend it? Not saying they're against sealing, but didn't think it necessary and didn't seem to be up to date on latest sealants.
I won't name them as I've not asked if it's ok, but it's direct from a quarry and they're pretty old skool. I agree though, pre sealing would be better but unfortunately not an option, so we'll have too set up a few shelters and do it ourselves.
I'm going to plan for semi dry bedding I think, but will look into a vacuum lifter as I reckon it'll help to lay on better, and maybe save our backs a bit.
Gi it sum ommer

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

there are millions of metres of it laid in london with no sealant
all depends on the customers expectation
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

mickavalon

Same here in Brum, very good point
Gi it sum ommer

Tony McC
Site Admin

A good rule of thumb when it comes to sealants is to avoid them unless there is a very goiod reason to use one. This 'urban myth' that all paving requires sealing is causing more problems than it solves.

Generally speaking, good quality paving stone does not require sealing. if there is an obvious threat, say, a barbecue area splattered with cooking fat, or shaded by sycamores/maples with their goo-crapping insect population, then maybe a sealant would reduce maintenance, but the vast majority of sealed pavements I view have no real need for it.

I would be very, very reluctant to seal a true yorkstone. They rarely need it; the sealants are relatively short-lived; if not apremium brand correctly appplied, they can ruin what should be gorgeous stone.

Bedding: choose a method that suits your working style. Some prefer a wet-bed, some prefer a semi-dry. I always preferred a moist mix.

Priming with a true yorkstone should not be necessary but, applied correctly, it would do no harm. We are rapidly moving towards a situation where priming is regarded as essential for *all* paving laid on mortar/concrete, which might not always be a 'good thing'. While there's no disputing a primer is needed with impermeable materials such as porcelain and slate, and can be a real boon with heavily trafficked pavements in town/city centres, its value with most importaed sandstones and limestones is debatable, and it adversely affects the potential for reclamation later in the stone's life.

Grouting: again, use what you're comfortable with. If you like the FlowPoint, go with that, but be extra thorough with the pre-wetting and the cleaning. Yorkstone is an expensive product to eff-up!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

mickavalon

Cheers Tony

We're still waiting to hear back from the client, needless to say the quote wasn't a low number :o
We're pretty used to Flowpoint so that's our preferred option and I think we're going for a semi wet/moist bed.
I know what you mean about the slurry, but it's become second nature now so we just do it anyway, but the Paving is 40mm so it shouldn't move anyway, but there are several sets of steps and I always do any type of step anyway due to the added load pressure.
We've given them an option for sealing, with an alternative choice for a bi annual maintenance schedule(first visit free), which is something we generally offer our clients, gives people an assurance that we care I suppose.
Gi it sum ommer

mickavalon

Hi
Just an update, the client's have decided to go vintage and the whole project is to be in reclaimed, so that's goodbye to the screened bed and hello 70-50mm back breakers!!! Anyone ever had any joy with Yorkstone and vacuum lifters?
Gi it sum ommer

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I cannot imagine them working
just plenty of decent men you should be Ok
we did one last january 2 of us ,the biggest flags were 3 x2 by 3.5 inch
it was hard work but looked great
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

mickavalon

Proper chuffed we got it, I really want to push traditional, local(ish) materials and stuff that'll last, not bloody fad/fail all the time. We lay plenty of Porcelain, but there's no satisfaction in it, no soul.
Gi it sum ommer