EasyJoint and grey sandstone slabs

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Johnd1881

EasyJoint and grey sandstone slabs

Hi,
Not sure if anyone can help but I've got a pointing query.

A few years back I had a builder in to slab my garden. He advised on a concrete base before laying the slabs which was fine. All the slabs went down fine and he pointed them in with EasyJoint. However after about 8-12 months I noticed the pointing starting to crumble and break away. What seensms to be happening is that water is sitting on the pointing and is unable to drain away. The question is do I repoint with EasyJoint or clear out and go down the route of traditional pointing. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Regards

Tony McC
Site Admin

Re: EasyJoint and grey sandstone slabs

Sadly, many of those 1-part resin jointing compounds have a short service life. Some eke it out for 12 months but others soldier on for 3-4 years, but ultimately, they all tend to fail.

The 2-part resin slurries, however, at least the goood 'uns, are known to last for 10-20 years and even longer. They are pricier, but you do tend to get what you pay for when it comes to jointing materials.

The various options are examined over a series of pages on the main webbsite beginning here....

https://www.pavingexpert.com/jointing-for-paving

....you have to choose which you think is best for your project based on your skill level, time available, budget and aesthetics.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Johnd1881

Many thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look those reviews now. I will definitely get someone in to do a professional job. I suppose it'll be a toss up between sand/cement or the 2 part slurries

Thanks again 👍

Johnd1881

Many thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look those reviews now. I will definitely get someone in to do a professional job. I suppose it'll be a toss up between sand/cement or the 2 part slurries

Thanks again 👍