Sawn and honed sealant

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
lambert91

Sawn and honed sealant

Looking for a sealant for my indian sandstone sawn and honed. I have been recommended resiblock ultra matt and also adseal HD.

Has anyone used either? Resiblock have told me their ultra matt is both a topical and impregnator sealant, would this be an issue as some suggest it needs to be breathable?

Thanks,

RAPressureWashing

Re: Sawn and honed sealant

Resiblock do a specific Indian Sandstone sealer which is okay, other choices are Dry-Treat, Lithofin, You need an impregnating sealer for external paving not a "Topical" sealer, but to be honest, personally really don't see the point of sealing Indian Sandstone externally, just do a good yearly maintenance clean
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

Tony McC
Site Admin

Re: Sawn and honed sealant

Maybe I don't know enough, but can a sealant be both an impregnator *and* a topical sealant?

If it's a matter of initially impregnating, and then settling as a film at the surface, i suppose that could, possibly qualify it as both, but that conflicts with my own understanding of the terms, which is that they are mutually exclusive.....but I could be wrong.

This notion of stone needing to 'breathe' is a bit misleading. The stone, in most instances, is completely inert. It's the bedding and jointing that *may* need to vent reaction gases and/or vapours, but this possibility should diminish as the mortars and concretes reach a level of hydration/curing where they are almost fully set (it's a little more complicated than that because mortars and concretes continue to hydrate/cure for years and years and years, but the worst of it is usually over and done with in the first 12 weeks).

Many of the honed sandstones do actually benefit from a good qualitys ealant as they tend to be the softer types of stone, and, once honed, their structure is often "opened up" making them somewhat more porous and therefore liable to colonisation by algae and lichens. However, as indicated above, I'd allow 3 months or so, say the end of September, and get it done in the last warm days of the year.

Did you take a look at the Sealant Trials?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert