Mot type 1 problems - Sub-base not holding well

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Arc23

Hi, I've recently laid a new MOT Type 1 sub-base for my driveway at home. I used a geo-textile non-woven membrane down first then added 1st layer of MOT, compacted and laid 2nd layer on top and compacted again. It's not holding well at all, it's easy to dislodge top layer stone with a light touch with your foot. New to doing that sort of work so not sure if that's OK to lay decorative chippings on top in that state. Worried that a car will just tear the base up quickly. How can I tell if it's OK to use? Thanks in advance.

seanandruby
Site Admin

sean

Arc23

Yes, had a good look through that and the other guidance from the website before I started the work. There really wasn't a lot of fines in the bulkbags I received. I'm wondering if that's cause.

Cheers

Arc23

I’ve had another look at it and compared it to images online. Really does look as though no fines. Can anyone advise if it’s possible to get away with that? Reading the guidance On the site here it mentions Type 2 & 3 having little to no fines and being used without issue.

seanandruby
Site Admin

You can scatter sharp sand to help bind it. Was your dtp1 in bulk bags, or tipped? Bulk bages tend to be like that.
sean

digerjones

If it was me I would get a some granite dust spread on top. I can buy it in bags or loose. Depends where you live in suppose. I'm in South cheshire
dylan

Arc23

Yeah, it was bulk bags from Travis Perkins, the more I think about it a couple of them seemed nicely balanced but the majority were just larger stones.

OK perfect, thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can get hold of and get the whacker back on hire!