Best way to move a mini digger about

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
dig dug dan

Forestboy1978 wrote:Picking up the van next week and detouring to Leeds to pick up this on the same day http://www.batesontrailers.com/shop/unb ... k-trailer/

Unofficially it'll take 2 tons.. and unofficially it'll tip with a ton bag and a few bags of cement...
What? Thats madness. Its an unbraked trailer and has a capacity of 412kg. Where did you get 2 tonnes from? If you tow that with that weight on, you will have an accident as your vehicles brakes cannot be expected to stop the trailer too. You can also snap the coupling, as well as the suspension.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:
Forestboy1978 wrote:Picking up the van next week and detouring to Leeds to pick up this on the same day http://www.batesontrailers.com/shop/unb ... k-trailer/

Unofficially it'll take 2 tons.. and unofficially it'll tip with a ton bag and a few bags of cement...

What? Thats madness. Its an unbraked trailer and has a capacity of 412kg. Where did you get 2 tonnes from? If you tow that with that weight on, you will have an accident as your vehicles brakes cannot be expected to stop the trailer too. You can also snap the coupling, as well as the suspension.
I'm not going to tow it with 2 tons in it of course..

Each axle takes 512 kgs.

So what I'm getting at is if I have to pop round the corner with a ton bag and my van has a payload of 1.6 tons and is empty, it's no big deal.

dig dug dan

It is if you get pulled. Waste of money. Buy a braked tipper and be done with it
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:It is if you get pulled. Waste of money. Buy a braked tipper and be done with it
Labourer doesn't have B and E, neither do I ATM. Can't afford the 3.5 ton trailer and testing and time and the van in one go.

For the time being this will do for my stump grinder and bags of dirt or green waste etc. Rare that I get a bulk bag and my supplier does free delivery anyhow so this will make do...

When I've go the time and money I'll get a 3.5 ton tipper and keep them both as I'll be the only person who can tow it where as anyone will be able to to tow this little one.

rxbren

Better off to just make do without the trailer till you di the test and get the big one. At least there no potential overloading

Regardless if you van has a 1.5t payload you can't over load the trailer with that weight beside it being illegal the in spring weight of the trailer with no brakes will keep pushing you whenever you use the brakes

The stands on my trailer sit quiet far off the ground when down so would have to raise the bed a fair few degrees foe them to touch the ground

Forestboy1978

rxbren wrote:Better off to just make do without the trailer till you di the test and get the big one. At least there no potential overloading

Regardless if you van has a 1.5t payload you can't over load the trailer with that weight beside it being illegal the in spring weight of the trailer with no brakes will keep pushing you whenever you use the brakes

The stands on my trailer sit quiet far off the ground when down so would have to raise the bed a fair few degrees foe them to touch the ground
It's not a waste of money regardless. I will use this trailer more often than a 3.5 ton by a factor of about x10. So, though yes I do really need a 3.5 ton tipper, this trailer is handy as hell.

On top of that, big jobs, are rarer for me. I do a lot of smaller jobs and I have my labourer go out and do odd jobs without me and he needs a trailer that can be pulled with my small van as well as my big van.

I'm getting both! But this one first.

rxbren

Either way if your over the 750kg unbraked your van won't like the extra unsprung weight

michaelthegardener

not being funny but do you really need all of this ? just seams like a hell of a lot of storage problems

Forestboy1978

I know you're not being funny Michael but do you think I'd be buying it if I couldn't make money with it?

jwill

Have a 2.6t gvw pickup that used to carry 1.2 legally.

Converted it to tipper and now down to just over 1t legally. Although did tip some muck off once and ticket said 1.7t net!!! Asked the kid if their weigh bridge was working properly!

Anyway anyone guess what pickup? Dead easy to drive around tight spaces

rxbren

Carry van

Forestboy1978

Bought the van. It's a beast. Loads of power with far less control. Did 500 mile round trip to get it on Friday. Comfortably does 100mph I would think. I did not take it to it as it was snowing etc and the van was empty and bouncy as hell.

Don't like the gear box but I've never had large vehicle which I did like the gear box.

Forestboy1978

Trailer training and test this Monday and Tuesday coming....

So back to tipper trailers... I absolutely need one so will be buying within the next 2 weeks assuming I don't fail B&E which is apparantly quite hard with 2 hours test at the end....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm....mRYSDQI

I haven't heard anything bad about these trailers..... for a 3 way tipper the price isn't bad compared to IFOR ones.

rxbren

I think the test is 1.25 hours its not that bad your instructor will (should) take you along most of the test routes.

As long as you drive sensible there is not really much you can mess up on the driving part there is no emergency stop or turn in the road.

There is a reversing manoeuvre that you can fail on. Its like a case of reversing like a parallel park to get the rear of the trailer into a box if you touch the offside line is a minor and cross it is a fail and its also a fail if the rear of the trailer isn't in the 1m deep box - you can get out once to look when your backed into the box.

As for trailers the Devon looks ok the ramps dont seem to lock onto anything for loading and here no tiedown points.

I've got a Brian James 3.1m 3.5t tipper its great alloy bed with 8 holes punched in to use as tie downs, recesses' for the ramps to slot into when loading items on it also has a very low bed height and most importantly tows really well empty or fully loaded

rxbren

Just seen the Devon has tie downs its also a bit wider than mine at 1.92m wide so it might be too wide mine sits perfect inline with the ranger and doesn't stick out.