Planning multiple plant purchases next spring - Need advice

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Forestboy1978

Hello

Basically things are going well for me. I'm ultra busy and winning literally every quote I want to win these days. New guy is a diamond and I think really likes the job so planning on taking on another next feb and giving him a month and if I get lucky again I'm going to invest some money.

Budget 25-30k - Gonna be taking trailer license in the next month or 2. Possibly over the Christmas period if I can.

Planning on upgrading the truck to a grafter or cabstar. Single cab as most jobs I take the van anyway and can load most tools into it so I'm thinking MWB and powerful for towing. Might get a lockable storage box to fit to the bed. Tow bar essential. Drop side and tipper essential. Don't need bluetooth yadda yadda. Doesn't need to be new. Just tidy

Tipper trailer - Thinking bateson - Cage desirable - 10ft x 6ft 6inch essential - Stowable skids essential

Digger - Not sure - Mini obviously - But 1.5 tons I think - Semi quick release desirable - Breaker attachment desirable - Augur essential. I'll be digging a lot of holes with this thing primarily. Wondering if 1.5 ton digger is any good with an auger or not?

Servicing is an issue. Not sure of the best place to take things like this for servicing. I keep the fuel clean and grease gun the bits and bobs and change a track and that's about it.

As always, thanks in advance guys

digerjones

Not sure what work you mainly do, but I have cabstar 34.01 model pull a ivor mini digger trailer with 1.5 mini on it.
Work well for me, I wouldn't bother with a tipping trailer if you have a tipper truck. A 1.5 ton mini will power a post borer no problem.
My cabstar was smashed up recently so been looking about. You can get quality one for 5k.
dylan

Forestboy1978

I do a lot of fencing and landscaping mainly. Some disposal and hedges and stump grinding. Having the ability to move 3.5 tons of machinery or spoil with a tipper and a tipper trailer is necessary.

Thanks for the feedback. Will it handle a small amount of rubble or roots or does it plough through most things. Not talking about 4 inch roots or solid concrete of course.

rxbren

micro digger may be more handy not a lot in it reach wise vs a 1.5t and it will still power a breaker or auger, if your not bothered about squeezing through side gates id personally go for a 2t machine (maybe 2.5t price dependant) over the 1.5t.
Just bought a new tipper trailer properly pissed off with it at the moment

Pablo

Personally I'd spend as little as you can and get a van that'll tow 3.5 tons, those Grafters haven't got a low enough gear for heavy duty towing and they're limited to 2 tons. Unless you're gonna use the digger 3 days a week then I'd continue to hire one. Let someone else deal with the heartache of keeping it running and you can choose what size you need for each job. Buy a 1.5 tonner and it'll be too big for some and too small for others.
I prefer skinnier 5x 5ish trailers, 3/4 loaded they are maxed for weight out so you don't need more space, the 6'6" trailers are hellish for damaging clients gates and pillars with the extra swing and hard to get into tight spots. Tipper trailers are really heavy and the extra height is sketchy when hauling diggers and dumpers.
Can't see it from my house

sy76uk

If your going to buy a small digger i'd recommend a bobcat micro digger.
It's a very sturdy machine for its size and capable of fitting through a gate.

Forestboy1978

This is why you guys are soo damn useful...

However, it's harder to make a decision with all this valuable input but I have several months.

So, I'm thinking you are correct. As much as I don't like micro excavators, I'd be kicking myself if I rigged an excavator to power a breaker or augur and couldn't get it in gates cos primarily it'd be used to dig holes or break concrete so I'm thinking now.....

bobcat 1 toner - auger - breaker

8 x 5 tipper trailer - Bateson one doesn't look too high. Nothing compared to driving up the ramps onto my high as hell transit tipper. Squeeky bum time every time with that so I'm used to it.

May be able to "just about tow a caged 8x5 with skids and micro with my van. It wont like it but it will do it.

Cuts costs down the <£15k thereby paying off the loan a lot quicker and less interest. Survive with the the transit crew cab tipper for another year or so.. it's been ultra reliable I have to say and it does carry the dumper...

sy76uk

This is the one i'd go for http://www.bobcat.com/eu/excavators/models/e08/features
Best micro i've used by a mile.

Forestboy1978

sy76uk wrote:This is the one i'd go for http://www.bobcat.com/eu/excavators/models/e08/features
Best micro i've used by a mile.
Need a like button here...

Cheers Sam will research but I have heard only good things

Forestboy1978

Thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm....7127169

It will take my dumper and a 20 liter jerry can of diesel and be within 750kg. Just dunno where the hell to strap the thing down. Not sure if it'll realistically like being driven up onto on a regular basis. Would be also very handy for putting bags of spoil into when I only have some bags left over on a job but also lots of timber off cuts and don't want to mix or visa versa. Also useful for compactor, cement mixer, lawn mower etc etc.

Then the plan is next year to get a tipper that'll take over a ton for digger transportation. Hoping to get costs down to around 20k ideally now. I think it can be done. Certainly can be kept below 25k if I get this little trailer instead of an 8 x 5 tipper that is a ball ache to heave about and stow.

As always, very interested in general thoughts.

Have a good weekend everybody :-)

digerjones

To me it looks like cheap crap. Without seeing it though who knows, but I have seen this type and there not worth bothering with. Think I will be buying a new ivor williams in the spring. My old one will be for sale. If your interested
dylan

Forestboy1978

digerjones wrote:To me it looks like cheap crap. Without seeing it though who knows, but I have seen this type and there not worth bothering with. Think I will be buying a new ivor williams in the spring. My old one will be for sale. If your interested
I agree, probably not great but I just need it for the dumper. It'll avoid doing trailer license.

How bad can it be......

rxbren

I've got a takeuchi tb108 boom will near enough turn 90 degrees left and right also has dual circuit for the breaker lines.

Personally wouldn't buy that trailer especially if you intend on buying another one next year. Unbraked tailers suck especially if your van is fully loaded plus your dumper heavier than 630kg
Diesel version ith widening tracks is 600kg (570kg petrol)
Hitip with self load another 315kg
So total of 915kg(875kg petrol)
So the dumper may even be too heavy to have on your tipper van with all your other kit

dig dug dan

That trailer is not a tipper. Its a tilt trailer. There is no way if you put a tonne bag in it you would have the strength to tip it up manually. Folding drawbar? It all looks cheaply made. Avoid.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

rxbren wrote:I've got a takeuchi tb108 boom will near enough turn 90 degrees left and right also has dual circuit for the breaker lines.

Personally wouldn't buy that trailer especially if you intend on buying another one next year. Unbraked tailers suck especially if your van is fully loaded plus your dumper heavier than 630kg
Diesel version ith widening tracks is 600kg (570kg petrol)
Hitip with self load another 315kg
So total of 915kg(875kg petrol)
So the dumper may even be too heavy to have on your tipper van with all your other kit
Wow. Superstar. I didn't consider that hi tip facility. Thought it was 600kg

You've saved me a lot of hassle