Fitting ratchet points to truck bed

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Forestboy1978

Hi guys,

Basically fitted some tool racking to the front of my tipper today to stow long tools. Looks tidy, far less pikey than the pallet that were strapped up there before and works better. Quite chuffed.

Next project is to fit ratchet points to the bed so I can transport my mini dumper. I was thinking of drilling through the bed and through the sub frame and fitting steel U bolts or whatever they're called but I'm having second thoughts.

I can't imagine that the odd 7mm hole in the sub frame would do much harm but looking at my bros factory fitted ratchet points they haven't done that and I would imagine there is good reason.

Going through the bed alone is too flimsy for sure so I was going to cut steel plate squares and bolt them to the bed and then drill through them and the bed. The machine is only 600kg and is probably the max I'll ever secure in the truck but I thought I'd ask you guys for your input.

Many thanks

dig dug dan

I have the built in ones on my truck, LLL does too, and they are invaluable.
I recently fitted a swing crane, and drilled four holes, 12mm, into the bed.
The crane eventually tried to pull the bolts through the floor, so I braced underneath with some mild steel plates. All good now.
the u bolts need to be recessed, so you can still shovel material off the truck bed.
I would try and ratchet it over the sides to the chassis somehow

Edited By dig dug dan on 1472493078
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

I might cut some slices out of sides so I can anchor the housing points to solid metal at the bottom and pass the straps through. If I go over the sides they'll bend under the pressure and probably wont allow good tensioning of the straps either.

Forestboy1978

Got it finished just now. Finished the tool storage also. I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I would not want to be driving that thing up or down those ramps with a hangover though. It's a little hairy to say the least....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh....Ya?dl=0

dig dug dan

Forestboy1978 wrote:Got it finished just now. Finished the tool storage also. I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I would not want to be driving that thing up or down those ramps with a hangover though. It's a little hairy to say the least....

That Looks a smart tied down solution to me.
Have you drilled holes in the bed to stop the ramps from moving?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

Forestboy1978

dig dug dan wrote:
Forestboy1978 wrote:Got it finished just now. Finished the tool storage also. I'm pretty chuffed with it.

That Looks a smart tied down solution to me.
Have you drilled holes in the bed to stop the ramps from moving?
Thanks

I have done so to secure ramps when using them for loading but they are not secured at the bed whilst stowed. They are secured at the frame where the tools are hung. I just drop a coach bolt through the ramps holes and into the tool frame holes at the front of the cage. The back ends can hop about as they are resting on the straps but they can't really go anywhere.

I'm most happiest with the tool storage. I can carry almost every manual hand tool in the rack with a couple of spare holes for other tools. Haven't jigged a standard shovel mount yet. Not sure if I will. I'm a fan of long handled shovels.

Cutting those holes in that timber was right PITA.. slow...