Work clothing

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Forestboy1978

seanandruby wrote:I had both my wrist operated on at the same time for carpel tunnel syndrome. Also had the bone taken out of my thumb and got to have other thumb done same. I buy trousers where you can fit the knee pads in a pocket in the knee. I bought cheap boots ladt time and the steel cap is digging onto my toes. I boughy a car chesper than that coat.
How's that worked out for you?

I wnet to the GP 3 years ago and she said it was the beginning of CTS and to go easy lol. We spent a fortune on anti vibration gear and over time it went away but recently it's come back again, I don't know why.

I only found out a week ago it was curable so I have been worrying for nothing really but now I'm not sure if it's something else. The biggest PITA about it really is in the morning I struggle to grip for the first hour but what's REALLY annoying is wake during the night with aching forearms and hands and pins and needles in my fingers

seanandruby
Site Admin

Very painful forestboy. For years i was in pain like you dead arms at night. I was holding my arms in the air mist of the night untill i found out that worse thing to do, best to dangle them down :p ops cured it but like a twat i was back doing same stuff...heavy lifting, jack hammers, pole scabbling so hands now havs. Had trapzeodal bone taken out on one hand, still other hand to do but thought f#@! It i'll leave it and suffer the pain. I find when i'm off work it eases a bit ( tells it's own story ). Got arthurs ritus now in joints but to late for me to change jobs. Don't know your age but bit of advice if your young enough take it easy m8 :;):
sean

Forestboy1978

seanandruby wrote:Very painful forestboy. For years i was in pain like you dead arms at night. I was holding my arms in the air mist of the night untill i found out that worse thing to do, best to dangle them down :p ops cured it but like a twat i was back doing same stuff...heavy lifting, jack hammers, pole scabbling so hands now havs. Had trapzeodal bone taken out on one hand, still other hand to do but thought f#@! It i'll leave it and suffer the pain. I find when i'm off work it eases a bit ( tells it's own story ). Got arthurs ritus now in joints but to late for me to change jobs. Don't know your age but bit of advice if your young enough take it easy m8 :;):
Cheers for the info. That's what the doc said 3 years ago. "Take it easy" I'm not really sure what that means. Get a desk job? There's no way I can earn or compete in the services we provide without working fast and lifting heavy stuff. I am doing more maintenance stuff and painting now though which is easy work but I absolutely hate painting. Hate it with a passion.

I like to be physical. Only time I ever feel tired is when I'm not active for some reason.

Forestboy1978

I thought you guys might appreciate this little fact...

Was too hot digging in my £300 coat today so I got soaked in a T shirt lol!

The minute I'd downed tools and packed up it stopped raining and the sun came out grrr!

DNgroundworks

lutonlagerlout wrote:carpet tunnel sydrome??

isnt that what derrick clapton got from playing his guitar too much :;):

LLL
lol

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

we strip off to dig in the rain
dig in shorts and t shirts and keep the warm stuff for when you have finished
I better upload some pics tomorrow of the current hand dig
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

lutonlagerlout wrote:we strip off to dig in the rain
dig in shorts and t shirts and keep the warm stuff for when you have finished
I better upload some pics tomorrow of the current hand dig
LLL
Can i have some PPE boss... no lads just strip bollock naked. Good idea i'll put that LLL :;): :laugh:
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

PPE is all there sean ,glasses, ear muffs,gloves,masks

but digging by hand isnt a PPE issue

its hard work and its harder if you are wrapped up too warm

LLL :)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

I know m8 i've been there stripped off, was only joking hence the wink :)
Hard work digging in coats etc:
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

oops got a stinker of a cold and missed the wink :;):
42 yds of muck dug out by hand in 8 days by 4 men
it would make dave L cry
LOL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

lutonlagerlout wrote:oops got a stinker of a cold and missed the wink :;):
it would make dave L cry
LOL

Is that 42 yards when in the ground or 42 yards after bulking?

Bloody big difference...

Forestboy1978

I'm being thick. Must be after the bulking factor!

Forestboy1978

The maths on that is pretty much 2 tons per man per day worst case roughly. That's not that special if that was their entire job for those 8 days! Depends where they had to offload it though!

Anyway, bought some cheap anti vibration gloves x2 pairs for a tenner as an experiment. Wasn't expecting much but figured they'd pass as work gloves if they were rubbish. They actually DO make a difference. Maybe 10-20% less intensity on the vibrations! Quite happy. Now considering looking into more expensive ones for greater reduction. These ones aren't too bulky though hence why I thought they'd be rubbish but couldn't hurt to have a spares for whatever. Expensive bulky ones have got to be good cos they'll only have one purpose and they'll need to be taken off and on a lot!

rxbren

Bit late post wise but one of the worst things is if you wake up middle of the night face down with two completely dead arms stuck under you with no way to easily roll yourself over. Then when you finally do manage to turn over both arms are completely useless for a few minutes

digerjones

lutonlagerlout wrote:oops got a stinker of a cold and missed the wink :;):
it would make dave L cry
LOL

Not a good advert for stripping off if your full of cold. :D
I've been on the banjo today, and I'm fooked.
dylan