Work clothing

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Forestboy1978

In 5 years I've yet to buy a jacket that is actually waterproof. This winter I intend to get it right.

These look great but are ridiculously expensive

http://www.brixworkwear.co.uk/snicker....w7w_wcB

So I was thinking... I plan on getting another motorbike next summer. Haven't ridden in 10 years but I was a biker all year round until I was 25 as I didn't have a car license. Perhaps kill 2 birds with one stone and get one of these.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages....HTw_wcB

Cheaper, but will it breath?

I still have my old leather bike jacket which I'll probably use for the bike mostly as it and I have bounced across the asphalt at least twice and lived to fight another day so I'm attached to it but always good to have a back up, especially if it's getting good use anyway...

digerjones

I bought a gazebo. It's paid for itself time over.
Think with waterproofs and work it changes all the time. The warmth of the day, how hard your working etc.
dylan

rxbren

go to an outdoor shop you can pick up some fairly decent breathable waterproofs for less than £20 they are not great but as there only going to get filthy no point spending hundreds. I bought a weltuff breathable jacket from our local ppe shop and it was on offer at the time again less than £20 and that sees out most of a day.

How do you get on with the gazebo? do you just move it around all the time?

digerjones

rxbren wrote:go to an outdoor shop you can pick up some fairly decent breathable waterproofs for less than £20 they are not great but as there only going to get filthy no point spending hundreds. I bought a weltuff breathable jacket from our local ppe shop and it was on offer at the time again less than £20 and that sees out most of a day.

The gazebo is ok for brick pillars, pointing etc. Also keeps the sun off, when we have some.
dylan

Dave_L
Site Admin

Portwest seam sealed waterproof trousers are the best imo.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Forestboy1978

digerjones wrote:I bought a gazebo. It's paid for itself time over.
Think with waterproofs and work it changes all the time. The warmth of the day, how hard your working etc.
I am looking into them myself too but they're only good for putting elecs and tools under and standing under when it really pours. I work in the rain no matter what all day so unless it follows me around it's not the answer. Helpful though for lunch and what I said.

Forestboy1978

rxbren wrote:go to an outdoor shop you can pick up some fairly decent breathable waterproofs for less than £20 they are not great but as there only going to get filthy no point spending hundreds. I bought a weltuff breathable jacket from our local ppe shop and it was on offer at the time again less than £20 and that sees out most of a day.

Yeah I've done that. Trousers are OK but coats are not. I need a coat that is really really strong but breathable and damn warm too.

I don't like the idea of spending hundreds on a coat that IS going to get totally ******* though. Don't like it at all.

DNgroundworks

I use hunting an mountaineering gear personally....but i do also use them for fishing etc

For trousers i buy from military1st.com

For boots....nothing goes on me feet other than meindl boots or chameau wellies

Forestboy1978

DNgroundworks wrote:I use hunting an mountaineering gear personally....but i do also use them for fishing etc

For trousers i buy from military1st.com

For boots....nothing goes on me feet other than meindl boots or chameau wellies
Cheers mate. I'll look them up. I've been looking at go outdoors and nothing is suitable so far. I'll check the army place.

I bought these a few months ago

http://www.screwfix.com/p....4d

First day my feet were killing me but since then they've been great. Really good value for money cos they're comfortable, steel toe and sole, obv waterproof and I think they'll last a year or 2 at least if I'm not too rough with them.

rab1

try ebay etc for ex fireman jackets. never owned one but roofers love them..
God loves a tryer

Forestboy1978

Well I got so sick of being wet last week, er and today I whacked it on the credit card.

http://www.brixworkwear.co.uk/snicker....w7w_wcB

Arriving within a week. I'm going to order some gore tex patches too and treat it every 3 months with whatever that waterproofing stuff is called. I figured it's 100% tax deductible and I keep buying £100 jackets that die very quickly. Will review in January when it's had a bit of a beating!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

£330 !!
I would like a car for that sort of money :)
no matter what I buy for workwear it gets wrecked rapido so I dont bother with high end stuff
be interested how you get on
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

lutonlagerlout wrote:£330 !!
I would like a car for that sort of money :)
no matter what I buy for workwear it gets wrecked rapido so I dont bother with high end stuff
be interested how you get on
cheers LLL
Yeah I know it's outrageous....

I got 5% off from another company, not that link and fee delivery lol so it was 305 ish

I've just thrown so much money away on coats that either make me sweat so much I may as well be wet from rain or they leak or they tear. I'm hoping this can be repaired. Not going to be pleasant sliding concrete posts down my chest when putting them in holes.

And yes, I have actually bought a car for less!

Forestboy1978

Jacket arrived today. First impressions are very good. It's worryingly light but feels strong but yeah definitely looks and feels the business.

Will update in Jan/ Feb when it's had some stick!

lemoncurd1702

A fleece jacket is as good as anything, it takes a couple of hours before the wet gets through then change into another one. Much more comfortable and no restriction of movement like those stiff waterproofs.
Cheers
Lemoncurd