Cleaning sandstone patio

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
sharpie

I have a large c 200m2 indian sandstone patio.

In previous years I have used my old Karcher, but it took days to do the job and the machine now leaks more water than it sprays.

So is it worth an investment in a new pressure washer - in which case what's the best bang for the buck given this is the main job for it? Or should I look at rental or even a contractor?

Thanks!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

roger from R and A pressure washing is the man
google him and look at his stunning work
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

r896neo

if you can easily control the runoff and keep it out of borders and lawns chemical control is much easier and much more effective. Its also better for the paving and jointing than blasting with high pressure water.

sharpie

Thanks both.

I will check out R&A.

Can you steer me on chemical control please r896neo?
Is this preventative or an alternative to pressure washing the crud off?

If I do go the pressure washing route, any recommendations for a suitable machine?

Cheers!

r896neo

there is a page on the main site with a mixture of hypochlorite and water which is incredibly effective.

see the bottom of this page. http://www.pavingexpert.com/stains.htm

Its an alternative to power-washing and in my experience keep the paving cleaner for longer. Its much quicker too but has a small material cost. Probably less than 10 quid per treatment though depedning on how much hypochlorite is near you.

Forestboy1978

I use a 4000psi 265 bar continous pressure washer on sandstone patios now. Mosmatic rotary attachment is kind enough on the joints if they are half decent but need to be a little cautious. I finish off with a lance, avoiding joints with the lance of course. They come out like new but it wont remove penetrating stains.

I would rent a machine with those kind of specs. Maybe 240 bar would be enough. I always turn the pressure down slighly on mine as it doesn't seem to need to be run on full whack.