Soil screener

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
TheTool

Hi guys

Well I am just wondering if you would give your opinion on the soil screener I have created.

Basically this is a prototype and was wondering is it something you guys would be interested in and how much would you pay for something like this.

I have been landscaping/gardening for over 20 years and never really could find something to screen soil without loads of elbow grease.
I go sick of digging out good soil and bringing in screened soil at cost, so I came up with this.

Having seen the price of larger machines I thought there must be a market for a smaller unit.

Please tell me what you think?

Soil Screener

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

looks too small
you need a barrow underneath it and 1 for the output
IMHO
its a fair idea , it would have to come in under £500 to make it viable for landscapers
all IMHO
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

TheTool

Cheers for the input mate, the trouble is the motors are industrial grade thus £300 a pop.

This is just a prototype I have a machine already made that takes wheel barrows but that is not going to be worked on until I get some idea of the market.

Kind of thinking there isn't no point making all these grand screeners if the price isn't right and they don't sell.

But thanks for the feed back its gratefully received

dig dug dan

How appropriate this topic is as only today I was discussing this with a friend, as I sat on the digger with a riddling bucket trying to get some decent soil for turfing on.
Your idea is basically good, however, mace industries already make a superb screener, with a choice of petrol or electric motors, and the machine is narrow access. I hired one to do my garden once and I am considering buying one.
Search soil screener on ebay, and you will see one.
Whats needed is a narrow access tracked screener with two conveyors. That will sell and I get as many calls for hiring such a thing as the crusher, so if one ever exists, I will buy
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

TheTool

Hi Dan

Well I have seen the screeners on eBay and they are all minimum £2000+vat.

The machine I am working on is similar size to the mace one but would at least half the price.

The machine in the video is just a prototype I knocked up in about 4 hours as a test to see if it would be popular with anyone from a gardener up, and I do think a machine that size would be popular, also the legs come off for easy storage.

Not everyone has diggers etc, some still use a shovel or spade

I am not in a position at the moment to spend money on developing a screener that would not sell, rather start small and develop as less risk and financial outlay.

My plan is to have a range of screeners but you cannot run before you can walk.

You guys input is what counts to me, this is why I came on here as its full of trades that would use one.

dig dug dan

I think you are onto something, if you can make transportable, and keenly priced imho. Stick with it I say
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

TheTool

Cheers Dan.

The bigger machine I have folds flat and has wheels for transporting it, and can be used by one person. its about 25kg.

It could handle a small mini digger but I am not looking to add conveyors etc as my whole idea of creating these machines is to make them affordable for people.

I kind of want to make a machine for each budget, how much money do you guys waste carting out soil and bringing in screened soil ?

Why not have a machine to screen it and just cart out the oversize.

I know there are screener buckets etc but not everyone has machines.

Like I said, you guys input is what I am looking for after all the best ideas come from hands on people.

p.s this small machines legs unbolt and is easily stored flat.

dig dug dan

If thats all it weighs, and is as portable as that, you will sell them I am sure. We buy screened soil in for 40 a metre, but then have to skip what we dig out, so it would pay for itself.
If you are paying that much for a motor, why not put an engine on it. They are half the cost
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

TheTool

Hi again Dan

Well the motors are maintenance free, no belts etc to bet looked after.

I could easily make a petrol model but you have to make an agitator to make the vibration and that costs money to make. so it works out similar in price, I wanted to create something that can fold down and take up little space.

With the costs involved in moving earth I thought this type of machine would be a good addition to a tradesman's kit.

This model is my third prototype, when I was landscaping and coming to the end of a job it was so easy to just screen the waste and spread out the screened soil and have very little to dispose off.

Guess I want to make it an essential piece of kit for anyone who moves earth.

TheTool

So would anyone buy it if it was larger ?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I am not a landscaper per se so wouldnt be any use to me
but it looks a handy bit of kit for the fellas that do

the big problem i see is it looks a bit slow

and time is money.....

LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

TheTool

Hi LLL

Well this isn't the final version, the final version is twice the size.

The reason it looks slow is the soil was full of roots and sods, the final version will be a lot faster and takes a barrow underneath and one in front for the overs.

Just thought a few more landscapers might have left an opinion on it.

Thanks guys anyway its good to hear what people think and so far its been encouraging.

Tony

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

have you tried the landscape juice forum tony?
lot more landscapers on there
mainly patio and drive men on here
cheers LLL(Tony)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

TheTool

Hi again Tony LLL

I will pop over and have a look at the landscape juice forum.

Like you say its probably more a thing for gardeners than ground workers.

I will take on board what you guys have said and make a few more improvements.

Thanks again guys

Tony

r44flyer

I always thought this one was a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=u-XodsJau5c

The rotary action makes it fast. The design could possibly be modified with a small hopper for loading with a mini digger? As is it's seems good for a landscaper to use on garden jobs.