Vosa

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
bobbi o

boys got a tug from vosa last week. transit tipper - weighed in at 4440 kg gross.

£400 fine. procurator will decide if its taken further. not sure if i'll be in for a further hit. its about 3 years since the last one.

was on the way home-load was two big boys tools and "small" amount of breakout material.

3.5 ton tippers must be an easy hit,as its pretty hard to stay under.

msh paving
Site Admin

if you got a operators licence it will go against you,usually the men get a fine so does the owner/buisness,
almost 1 ton over is a lot, MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

bobbi o

i'm just under the 30% where a court appearance,i think, is automatic.

i've got an operators licence,so will be in for further trouble of some description.

dig dug dan

it used to be £1 for every kilo you were overloaded.
My double cab is supposed to legally carry 1 tonne. I am always having to overload it.
its about time they upped the limit of operators licences to 4.5 tonnes
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

dig dug dan wrote:i I am always having to overload it.
not really dan
but as we both know it would make you very uncompetitive if you never overloaded
I try to keep within weight limits but obviously its nigh impossible to tell correctly unless you have a weighbridge
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

dig dug dan

nigh impossible to tell correctly unless you have a weighbridge

exactly. I once weighed a bucked of crushed concrete, and worked out how much a m on the truck would weigh, and it was 1500kg.
My crushers are just under 1 tonne, so one of them on the truck, with the ramps, plus tools, and its touch an go legally!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

bobbi o

Did an experiment today with another transit tipper- 2 big boys and approx 1/2 to 3/4 tonne of very wet type one,no tools - 3640 kg

nice sting in the tail from the traffic cops/vosa - had to leave the pick up at the weighbridge and go and get another vehicle and driver to relieve it of its excess weight before it could proceed.

Returned as quickly but several hours later-pick up had gone.

"Sorry,guv-we thought you were'nt coming back and have removed your vehicle to the pound.you'll need to furnish me with another £200,before you may proceed"

one of these laugh/cry at the same time situations,which you know if you argue with him your not going to win.

ambient

got pulled over today with mini digger on back was told 5 ton straps not sufficient for tyeing 1.5 ton digger on must now have chains for any plant ???
ambientdriveways.co.uk ambientexcavations-bolton.co.uk

Carberry

ambient wrote:got pulled over today with mini digger on back was told 5 ton straps not sufficient for tyeing 1.5 ton digger on must now have chains for any plant ???

None of them know what they're doing.

I get pulled every few weeks because I have the orange plates on for hazardous goods and I get told something different each time.

Always need orange plates turned, don't need them turned because I'm under the threshold, I need a safety torch, don't need safety torch, need wheel chocks, don't need wheel chocks etc

msh paving
Site Admin

So every ratchet strap has to be chuked now.....,what a load of bolarks,

MSH :)
paving, mini-crusher, mini-digger hire and groundwork
http://mshpaving.co.uk

Dave_L
Site Admin

Bobbi - Did you get a letter from the Traffic Commissioner after your brush with VOSA?
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

local patios and driveway

They always come up with some old crap that conflicts what another has said. I was told the hooks on my trailer mustnt be used for starpping the plant down. How rediculous. Vosa are a bunch of shitbags

bobbi o

No further response from vosa,so far. they were probably happy enough in taking £600 off me.

the vosa guy was saying the rear springs in the transit tippers are the giveaway-if there not "smiling" ie:there straight,then he knows it will be overloaded.

had a look to see if there is any guidance on weight limits on when to use chain or strap tie downs. doesnt seem to be any tight rules. commonsense would say 5 ton break strain straps to secure a 1.5 ton digger is ok!