Porcelain tiles - Tiles level with door sill

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
stick999

Hi,

I have a client that has been told by her tiler that she can use porcelain tiles (10mm thick) for her patio and that they can be run level with the door sill.
How can this be done without violating the DPC? A slit Aco drain could be installed along the patio with a fall away from the house but this would not stop splash back. Any ideas?
Thanks

Graeme

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

there are various workarounds,but the biggest problem is if they are indoor porcelain they are unlikely to meet the british standard for slip resistance,
we did one recently level with the cill of 2 sets of bifolds but I ran an aco type drain right across the doors ,connected to a soakaway and made sure the client wrote me a letter accepting that I was working under his direction, and any future damp issues were his own doing
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Tony McC
Site Admin

There's a range of 'typical solution' cross-section drawings for precisely this problem here
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

st_chris

First post on this forum. Please be kind.

I'm not a tradesperson - just a domestic customer/occasional DIYer.

I thought this the most appropriate place for a question rather than post a new thread or send an email - apologies if this isn't the right place to post - so here goes:

I face a similar dilemma to the original post, i.e. using tiles outdoors and with possible drainage solution needed as the tiling level runs close the the DPC level of the house.

I would like to tile a small yard area with either terracotta/quarry type tiles or a porcelain alternative. The area has two sides against the house and the other two sides against external yard walls.

What might appear like a simple job seems far from it - as I've yet to find a person/company who will take the job on. Maybe because it's not the right solution for the area? Too expensive? I'm not sure why? If possible - I'd like to find a quality tradesperson to do the job. I don't think I'm brave enough to do it myself - at least do it well.

I can provide more details about the job - but any advice would be welcome about finding a suitable person/company to complete this work.

Cheers, Chris

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's not a complex job, but it may be that you live in an area that isn't particularly well-served by suiitable contractors, or it may be that your job just has too many complicating factors and it puts off potential tradespersons.

There are some tips about sourcing a decent contractor here and the pages linked from it. Have you had a lok at that?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

st_chris

Thanks Tony. I'll take a look and contact some of the recommended tradespeople on the site here and take a further look using the tips - see if that unearths someone good locally.